Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How bad is this orange peel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Flashing the paint with heat has nothing to do with the base layer adhering. They flash to speed up production.
Peeling is poor prep.

Agreed. I'm just suggesting that if the bumper was painted at the Tesla factory, it would just have been another bumper of thousands coming off of the automated line that includes (like the body itself) prep, prime, paint, bake, etc. If there was a prep issue in the line, we would be reading about many hundreds/thousands of cars that have paint peeling from their non repaired, newly delivered cars (bumpers). We don't see that, but rather this one off that was procured, prepped, painted (somewhere, somehow) by a local body shop - the same body shop that allowed that crappy bumper to leave it's shop in the first place - after collecting money from the OP/OP's insurance company.

Last edited:
Reactions: ricohman
The bumper was painted at Pomona body shop. I stepped into their factory and it looked pretty high tech.
I just had a few scrapes on a plastic bumper (blue metallic - bumper repainted and blended) repaired at freaking Service King and that turned out smooth as glass and also a perfect match.

I really don’t understand how a “quality” shop can return a bumper with orange peel like in the original post of this thread. I’m not one to ask to talk to management but that is just unacceptable.