Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How bad is this orange peel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long story short, got into an accident, got front bumper replaced by Pomona body shop. One month later the paint starts to chip away at a small area. I went to Costa Mesa and they put me on the waitlist for the very reputable body shop right next door, which I preferred over going back to Pomona.

Four months later, I still haven’t received any follow up call for an appointment at the body shop, so I go in person and they tell me the waitlist was dropped. Thanks Costa Mesa for never giving me a call. Add that to a long list of grievances.

The body shop in Pomona ends up shipping Costa Mesa a new bumper. I wait a month to schedule an appointment to get it installed, so I can go get the PPF installed right after.

Check out pictures below of the bumper orange peel. Do you think it’s excessive? It’s most obvious in that section (bottom half of the bumper) on both sides.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 8E1987EB-6B16-4DFB-ADFB-252CD23B4F7F.jpeg
    8E1987EB-6B16-4DFB-ADFB-252CD23B4F7F.jpeg
    415.8 KB · Views: 222
  • Disagree
Reactions: xxkevo
Need some more advice.

If I were to ask Pomona body shop that I prefer to not go with them again and want to go to an outside shop, but they say no, what recourse do I have?

Do I go to my insurance company? Problem is that my switched insurance in April and the accident was in November, and I got it fixed in January.

Long story short, got into an accident, got front bumper replaced by Pomona body shop. One month later the paint starts to chip away at a small area. I went to Costa Mesa and they put me on the waitlist for the very reputable body shop right next door, which I preferred over going back to Pomona.

Four months later, I still haven’t received any follow up call for an appointment at the body shop, so I go in person and they tell me the waitlist was dropped. Thanks Costa Mesa for never giving me a call. Add that to a long list of grievances.

The body shop in Pomona ends up shipping Costa Mesa a new bumper. I wait a month to schedule an appointment to get it installed, so I can go get the PPF installed right after.

Check out pictures below of the bumper orange peel. Do you think it’s excessive? It’s most obvious in that section (bottom half of the bumper) on both sides.

Thanks!

That's nasty. Bring it back. Hopefully you didn't already PPF that bumper as you'll be out that money.

Do I go to my insurance company? Problem is that my switched insurance in April and the accident was in November, and I got it fixed in January.
The insurance you had at the time of the accident is still responsible for the repairs and making things right. Just because you switched doesn’t mean they aren’t on the hook for what happened when you were covered.

The insurance you had at the time of the accident is still responsible for the repairs and making things right. Just because you switched doesn’t mean they aren’t on the hook for what happened when you were covered.

But, if the OP when ahead an put PPF on top of that peel, the insurance will likely only cover the repaint, and not the re PPF.

A new twist to the story...and it’s not a good one.

But first off, I did go ahead and get the PPF installed. This has been a huge headache for me with a lot of time wasted. I need to get this behind me.

PPF installer shows me this today. The paint is PEELING AGAIN! It’s not in an obvious part but it’s very concerning that other parts might peel, especially if I end up removing the PPF.

WTF Tesla?

Attachments

• 7C1693E4-5794-4365-A2CE-27D126CEC795.jpeg
    7C1693E4-5794-4365-A2CE-27D126CEC795.jpeg
    194.4 KB · Views: 151

Thanks!
I'd say that's pretty bad.

I don’t you read the entirety of my post. The bumper was replaced initially due to an accident.

I did read your original post, but later you confused me (and possibly others) with post #9 :confused: - an unclear picture, complaining about additional peeling, than then laying the blame on Tesla with this line, "WTF Tesla?" So, it's easy to think the new peeling was occurring somewhere else on your car given the unclear picture and your desire to blame Tesla; instead of the body shop you/your insurance company chose - after you got into an accident.... How again is this Tesla's fault? o_O I assume the body shop did the painting of the blank replacement bumper skin that might not have even come from Tesla, but rather might have been a repaired and repainted bumper skin (from another used Tesla), a 3rd party bumper skin, or one recovered from another Tesla wreck. This happens all the time with non Tesla bumper skins (body shop sources skins from God knows where). See where I'm coming from? ;)

Last edited:
It's a bad paint job. The question is, did it come painted from Tesla? (I thought I had read somewhere that Tesla was going to ship painted parts from Fremont so the SC's could just install them.) If Tesla painted it, they need a do-over. Ditto if the body shop painted it that way.

It's a bad paint job. The question is, did it come painted from Tesla? (I thought I had read somewhere that Tesla was going to ship painted parts from Fremont so the SC's could just install them.) If Tesla painted it, they need a do-over. Ditto if the body shop painted it that way.

The OP's car was repaired not by a Tesla SC, so WTFK where the body shop got the skin from? Might not be able to believe what that body shop even put on the invoice. I'm sure they charged the OP for a genuine OEM skin, but is it? They might have sourced it from a chop shop, for all we know. This is a common problem across the auto repair industry.

Edit: Yes, definitely bad paint. And if it did come from Tesla, I wouldn't expect peeling as the painting process their includes baking (as I noted earlier). This skin, to me, clearly was not painted in a Tesla factory (because of peeling, not orange peel).

The OP's car was repaired not by a Tesla SC, so WTFK where the body shop got the skin from? Might not be able to believe what that body shop even put on the invoice. I'm sure they charged the OP for a genuine OEM skin, but is it? They might have sourced it from a chop shop, for all we know. This is a common problem across the auto repair industry.

Edit: Yes, definitely bad paint. And if it did come from Tesla, I wouldn't expect peeling as the painting process their includes baking (as I noted earlier). This skin, to me, clearly was not painted in a Tesla factory (because of peeling, not orange peel).

Flashing the paint with heat has nothing to do with the base layer adhering. They flash to speed up production.
Peeling is poor prep.