Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How could autopilot improve?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve driven autopilot a few times, but I don’t have my own Tesla to drive with it every day. For you Model S owners with autopilot, how would you improve the experience of using the system in your car? What are some specific ways it could improve on the existing features, and what are some new features you think would kick ass if included in an over the air update? Is there anything obvious that Tesla has overlooked in their implementation?

Software
1.) Better handling of the off ramps when driving in the right lane. Basically in situations where it loses the right line it should continue to track the left, and not move to the right.
2.) Better handling the on ramps when driving in the right lane. Again it loses the right line and moves over.
3.) Auto-steering should be smoother and less corrective. It tends to constantly do corrections.
4.) In the left lane it should bias to the left side of the lane because that's what people are used to. In my car at least it seems to always try to center itself.
5.) Improve the speed limit sign recognition. As it exists right now it occasionally screws up and turns a 65 zone into an 85 zone.
6.) Add auto adjusting to the speed limit + offset to the TACC speed setting. Can't really do this without #5
7.) Improve the maps so the car autopilot doesn't slow down for turns that don't exist.

Hardware
1.) Move to multiple camera's for the front to enhance it's capability. For example right now when the auto-steer goes in a fairly steep corner it actually turns multiple times unlike what a driver would do. With a driver it would be one continuous motion, but that's because the driver see's (and has a feel for it) the corner. Where autopilot just updates as it goes through the corner.
2.) Add Rear camera to detect cars coming up quickly (for various reasons)
3.) Add Side camera's and more side sensors to improve side monitoring. in the current version it doesn't work so well. For example if a big rig is next to you sometimes it doesn't know this.
4.) More accurate sensors for frontal/rear areas to allow for tighter parking.

You doing market research?

BMW PLANT! haha.

- - - Updated - - -

Software

4.) In the left lane it should bias to the left side of the lane because that's what people are used to. In my car at least it seems to always try to center itself.

6.) Add auto adjusting to the speed limit + offset to the TACC speed setting. Can't really do this without #5

I agree 100% with #4. I don't drive in the center of the lane when I am in the left lane. I usually drive about a foot to the left to give extra space. I wish you could set a "left lane offset" parameter and tell the car to drive a few inches left of center when it sees there is a right lane but no left lane. This could also work well for two lane roads, where it would see no lane to the right it could offset to the right instead of the left. This would also aid drivers behind you who might want to overtake.

#6 - I am not sure if the camera actually "sees" street signs or if it is using GPS data. Either way it would be cool to be able to set an offset and have the cruise track the speed limit. This might get annoying in areas like the 101 in Phoenix where it is 65 but you get run over if you do less than 80 most of the time.

Just FYI. It does read the speed signs. It also compares what it sees with Google data and reconciles. Mine will read signs and change the display the very second I pass a sign when I have no cell signal. I live in a remote area. I have also had the issue of it reading a 65 as 85 in one place. But I think I can tell why. The 6 seems to be a little different than other speed signs. It is has a little longer hook (?) to the top of the 6 than normal signs. No idea why. I thought they were all standardized. So this might need work. I can just see the car taking off when it thinks the limit just jumped 20mph.

Location: HWY 17S in Scotts Valley, CA, just past the S entrance from Mount Hermon Road.

1) Recognize and react appropriately to stop lights and stop signs.

2) Do a better job of predicting the correct path on roads without clear stripes. It should be able to detect the edges of the pavement and infer lanes, like humans do

3) Get better at handling curves smoothly, which should lead to not prompting me to touch the wheel on every sweeping turn.

4) Park in perpendicular spaces and my garage

5) Everything S4WRXTTCS said.

3) Get better at handling curves smoothly, which should lead to not prompting me to touch the wheel on every sweeping turn.

You should, of course, have your hands on the wheel at all times! If you did you will see how much steering input the AP system has - way too much in my view. The extra wear and tear on the steering components must be pretty high. Not good.

Steering and TACC is definitely too fussy about sticking to a direction/safety gap. Both systems should be able to smooth things out a lot more than they do now without compromising safety. In the case of the latter, the RADAR should be able to do a much more smooth job than a human could given that RADAR is much better at measuring the safety than a human is and, perhaps more importantly, better at measuring how quickly the safety gap is changing.

An example: Say the safety gap is not changing, everything is in a nice, steady state. Suddenly, the car in front starts slowing quickly and TACC starts slowing the MS. Meanwhile the car ahead starts speeding up again. Now, a human would realise that, because the car ahead is accelerating again, despite the safety gap still closing (due to the MS not slowing quickly enough) or being too short for the TACC safety gap setting, that s/he could stop slowing and allow the safety gap to open up due to the car ahead accelerating and therefore stop slowing the MS. The result is a 'rounded up' interaction without the harsh jerkiness of the MS trying to keep rigidly to its safety gap setting.

Personally, my main gripes with AP is that;-
1/ the speed warning can't be set to be a proportion of the speed limit plus a fixed number of mph, (a very easy fix) and...
2/ the safety gap does not work proportionally to the speed the car is doing - ie higher speed, automatically higher gap and VV. I think it does this a bit but nowhere near enough. Why can't we just has a slider to adjust it? Equally easy fix. MW