Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model S purchased with FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a 2018 Model S with the FSD option in 2018. I like my Tesla and I would like to keep it for a while since I have a fairly low mileage. The FSD is far from perfect but Autopilot has been useful. However, the current release of the FSD (2024.3.15)) is an improvement over the earlier releases.

It is not clear to me if Tesla would provide a hardware upgrade to bring my 2018 car's FSD to the current level of the FSD performance. I have not seen any discussion or news from Tesla.

I would like Tesla to clarify what their plans or intentions are for the early purchaser of the FSD capability on faith.

Your car originally came with autopilot hardware 2.5. Version 3.0 came out in 2019 and if you bought the FSD package you should have received a free upgrade to this computer already to enable the FSD package it sounds like you’re using.

As for future upgrades - you’re done. HW3 does everything the “current version” of FSD does and Tesla hasn’t announced any further upgrades for legacy S/X. Nor are the likely to.

Reactions: brkaus
I purchased a 2018 Model S with the FSD option in 2018. I like my Tesla and I would like to keep it for a while since I have a fairly low mileage. The FSD is far from perfect but Autopilot has been useful. However, the current release of the FSD (2024.3.15)) is an improvement over the earlier releases.

It is not clear to me if Tesla would provide a hardware upgrade to bring my 2018 car's FSD to the current level of the FSD performance. I have not seen any discussion or news from Tesla.

I would like Tesla to clarify what their plans or intentions are for the early purchaser of the FSD capability on faith.
You are right about the upgrade to HW 3 computer. I was hoping that Tesla would continue to provide hardware updates to get me to the FSD capabilities! However, I expect to get only software updates.
Thanks for the reply.

You are right about the upgrade to HW 3 computer. I was hoping that Tesla would continue to provide hardware updates to get me to the FSD capabilities! However, I expect to get only software updates.
Thanks for the reply.
Which hardware updates were you hoping for? You’re never going to get HW4 or beyond in your car, but FSD today doesn’t use any HW4 capabilities, so you’re not missing anything yet. Did the previous owner or you already get the free HW3 upgrade? If not, you should do that.

I did get a HW3 computer upgrade I believe in 2019. I did not know that FSD today does not use any of the HD4 capabilities. I had thought that it might be using the updated cameras. There also was confusing information about Tesla not using the radar and relying only on the improved cameras. Please provide a link if there is one, where these aspects are discussed, and is clear that I will not be getting any hardware updates. Thanks for the information.

Yes, my car downloaded FSD (Supervised) v12.3.4 a few days ago. There is no issue as such but I was wondering what Tesla plans to do about current and future hardware updates if these are used for the FSD. Also, is there clarity on whether Tesla plans to use the radar? Maybe, the Tesla plans are evolving and it is unknown at this time. I am fine in any case. Thanks for asking.

you're all set!
no one knows the exact answer to any of those questions, not even Elon. His stated goal is to be able to make your car (and mind) into an autonomous robotaxi. Most would say it's not possible with the hardware though

I did get a HW3 computer upgrade I believe in 2019. I did not know that FSD today does not use any of the HD4 capabilities. I had thought that it might be using the updated cameras. There also was confusing information about Tesla not using the radar and relying only on the improved cameras. Please provide a link if there is one, where these aspects are discussed, and is clear that I will not be getting any hardware updates. Thanks for the information.
The fact that HW3 cars won’t be able to upgrade to HW4 was mentioned by Elon when HW4 was launched, and widely discussed here and in other media. I don’t have a specific link, but you can easily find that information. The issue is that HW4 has a different form factor, which would be very expensive to retrofit into an older car.

The part about not using HW4 yet was something I read in a forum post here. Specifically, that poster reported that FSD is using HW3 emulation mode on HW4. I don’t know the source of that information so I can’t vouch for it.

I agree that there’s a lot of confusion about radar. I’ve read that the HW4 in my Model S does have radar, but my understanding is it’s not used currently and I don’t know if that will change. I don’t think the HW4 in my wife’s Model Y has radar.