Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do I know if my MYLR has foam in the tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some Continental tires use ContiSilent technology, aka the foam tire liner. The ProContact RX features ContiSilent technology. Michelin, Pirelli, Goodyear and other brands also use the foam liner in some models/versions of their tires as a way to reduce tire noise and to differentiate their tires and tire brand from the competition.

Reactions: John in LB
The Continental website shows a logo for Conti silent foam tires. My Tesla model Y came equipped with continental pro contact RX. I did not see that logo on the tire. I have tried to contact Tesla by phone and also send a message through the app I have not received an answer, does anyone know whether these tires without the logo contain foam? If so, can they be plugged with a kit?

The Continental website shows a logo for Conti silent foam tires. My Tesla model Y came equipped with continental pro contact RX. I did not see that logo on the tire. I have tried to contact Tesla by phone and also send a message through the app I have not received an answer, does anyone know whether these tires without the logo contain foam? If so, can they be plugged with a kit?
Yes; the OE Contintental ProContact RX tires that come with the 19" Gemini wheels on the Tesla Model Y have the ContiSilent foam treatment. Yes the tires can be plugged and patched. If the damaged tire can be repaired, when using a tire plug no special preparation is required. If the damage tire will be patched a section of the foam liner must be cut away from the inside of the tire before applying the patch. Then the section of foam is supposed to be glued back in place.

If you attempt to use a tire sealant such as the one that comes in the Tire Repair Kit that Tesla sells with the OE tire the ContiSilent foam liner can interfere with the sealant getting to the puncture and sealing the leak.

Last edited:
Yes; the OE Contintental ProContact RX tires that come with the 19" Gemini wheels on the Tesla Model Y have the ContiSilent foam treatment. Yes the tires can be plugged and patched. If the damaged tire can be repaired, when using a tire plug no special preparation is required. If the damage tire will be patched a section of the foam liner must be cut away from the inside of the tire before applying the patch. Then the section of foam is supposed to be glued back in place.

If you attempt to use a tire sealant such as the one that comes in the Tire Repair Kit that Tesla sells with the OE tire the ContiSilent foam liner can interfere with the sealant getting to the puncture and sealing the leak.
Thank you for the information. I read somewhere that the foam interferes with plugging the tire but that does not seem to be true. Among other emergency items, I now carry a compressor and plug kit.

Thank you for the information. I read somewhere that the foam interferes with plugging the tire but that does not seem to be true. Among other emergency items, I now carry a compressor and plug kit.
If you find you have a punctured tire you can reinflate the tire as needed. Only use the tire plug kit if you determine that the tire won't hold air long enough to get to a tire center where the tire can be inspected and repaired. For liability reasons many tire repair shops refuse to repair a tire puncture where a repair has already been attempted.

Reactions: Pianewman