TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How do you register a new card key?

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by RyanS, May 12, 2018.

1. RyanS

RyanS Ka-chow

I wanted to see if any regular RFID card keys (hotel keys) would work with Model 3. But I couldn't find any option to register a new card key. Do I have to go through SC to activate new card keys?
    It would be awesome if I can recycle all those old used hotel keys in my luggage into M3 card keys

2. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

It’s done through the app.

• Disagree x 3
  3. RyanS

RyanS Ka-chow

4. SDKoala

SDKoala Model 3 LR RWD

No, it's not possible to do it on your own. Only Tesla can associate a key card with the car. There's nothing in the app that allows you to pair random old key cards.

5. CWFLY

CWFLY Member

I can't think of any logical reason why we can program a phone to open/drive the car, but can't program a card to open/drive the car.
    Nonetheless, I was told by Tesla, the same thing that SDKoala stated... you have to bring it into the service center to code a new card.
    (also, bring all of your existing cards when/if you do this)

6. PoitNarf

PoitNarf My dog's breath smells like dog food

Anyone know if Tesla is offering spare key cards yet? With one in my wallet and the other in my wife’s purse I’d like to have a third spare to keep at home just in case.

7. Future4me

Future4me Member

Just got 2 extra key cards last Friday. I was going to do it at the SC but they offered to send a technician to the house. They must have an open work order to complete the process. Only took 15 minutes and the cards cost 5 dollars each. Great deal!

8. Shygar

Shygar Member

I had 6 key cards associated to my car when I first got it. I took it to service with both my keycards and they were able to remove all my key cards and readd my original 2 keycards. Should be easy to add a third, but I didn't ask about this.

9. SDKoala

SDKoala Model 3 LR RWD

They definitely are. I wanted at least one extra to keep somewhere at home, just like you. I currently have 4 key cards associated. My service center gave me 2 extra when I asked as "good will" and didn't charge the nominal $5/ea for them.

• Informative x 1
  10. SDKoala

SDKoala Model 3 LR RWD

Aside so they have a key card to be able to drive the car, did they say why you needed to bring all of your existing cards? When I had extras made, they only had one of my two cards and didn't ask for the other one.

11. RyanS

RyanS Ka-chow

Mobile service came out to my work this morning to program 4 card keys. Total $22. What a bargain.
    He connected his laptop to my car via data cable and programmed keys. It took less than 5 min.
    He also told me that someday we will be able to use our phone (even phone is out of battery) to open and start the car since most phones already have built in NFCs.

• Like x 1