Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you register a new card key?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't think of any logical reason why we can program a phone to open/drive the car, but can't program a card to open/drive the car.
Nonetheless, I was told by Tesla, the same thing that SDKoala stated... you have to bring it into the service center to code a new card.
(also, bring all of your existing cards when/if you do this)

Anyone know if Tesla is offering spare key cards yet? With one in my wallet and the other in my wife’s purse I’d like to have a third spare to keep at home just in case.

Anyone know if Tesla is offering spare key cards yet? With one in my wallet and the other in my wife’s purse I’d like to have a third spare to keep at home just in case.

They definitely are. I wanted at least one extra to keep somewhere at home, just like you. I currently have 4 key cards associated. My service center gave me 2 extra when I asked as "good will" and didn't charge the nominal $5/ea for them.

• Informative
Reactions: Shygar
Mobile service came out to my work this morning to program 4 card keys. Total $22. What a bargain.
He connected his laptop to my car via data cable and programmed keys. It took less than 5 min.
He also told me that someday we will be able to use our phone (even phone is out of battery) to open and start the car since most phones already have built in NFCs.

Reactions: Shygar