Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does the parking sensor retainer clip attach?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My right front parking sensor (the S6 sensor) has fallen off. The sensor is still in the clip, but the clip is no longer attached to the fender. Thinking that there was something on the clip (tesla part #1097483-00-C) that was broken, I got a new after-market one because I couldn't find anyplace to sell me an actual Tesla part. But the new one is identical to the original, and I still don't see how it attaches to the fender. Does it just glue on? If so, superglue (Cyanoacrylate) or something else?

IMG_6398 2.jpeg
IMG_6397 2.jpeg

I believe they have used some kind of heated welding on the factory, as the plastic is PU (if not mistaken) then you would need suitable glue (right one can be found, but is not always present at shops). If you go with the double side tape then it should be very thin as the bracket will then be this amount inward after attachment. I have re-glued rear sensor bracket and previous fix on front with the double side tape have hold on approximately two years now. Make sure that you throughly clean the mating parts for long term fix! On rear bumper I did added additional support between the sensor bracket and crash beam by thin soft building insulation piece cut out to fit around.

You can use super glue but it's not suited for the task because vibration and flexing will break the bond. When I replaced one of them the clip came with double sided tape pre applied. But it was not very strong feeling so I took it off and put some VHB tape on there and that thing ain't going anywhere.
If you don't have some VHB tape already lying around it's a great thing to have it's basically a permanent bond. Here is the roll I have.

As I am in the same boat...I can see this instructions on tesla service page:

Prepare and mix the 3M 810 Acrylic adhesive/Scotch weld applicator (1458055-00-A).
Apply the 3M 810 Acrylic adhesive to the installation area.
Install the retainer and secure the fixture tool (Parking Sensor Retainer Kit 1638000-00-A).

Havent really dont it myself as I am waiting for a reply from insurance company...