Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New to the club...need help! Front Bumper Sensor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I bought a 2017 Tesla Model S 100D last week. I didn't notice this until after I bought it that there was a warning on the dash that says "Auto Pilot Safety and Convenience Features are Unavailable" and that it may be restored on the next drive. It hasn't gone away since. I talked to Tesla dealership and they said I need to schedule service on the app, which I did. They were able to diagnose it remotely and messaged me with the estimate to fix it. Here's what they estimated:

Fascia Assembly - Front - 2ndGeneration (Remove & Install) w/part (MS2 Front Fascia Unpainted Auto Pilot, SVC 1056370-S0-A
Sensor - Radar - Front - 2nd Generation (Remove & Install) w/part Front Radar, NO Heater 1057551-00-B

All this for a estimate of $2500 to fix. It looks like the left enter sensor needs to be replaced possibly?? But they want to remove the whole bumper and replace it with a new one. Does anyone have any recommendation on how to fix just the one sensor instead of needing to purchase a brand new bumper? I'm just guessing it's the sensor that is right next to a indent in the front bumper that maybe the previous owner bumped into something. I've attached the picture of the area:

Attachments

• Tesla Bumper 3.jpeg
    Tesla Bumper 3.jpeg
    754 KB · Views: 117
  • Tesla Bumper 2.jpeg
    Tesla Bumper 2.jpeg
    349.1 KB · Views: 61
  • Tesla Bumper 1.jpeg
    Tesla Bumper 1.jpeg
    465 KB · Views: 62
I mean, where are the radars in the front bumper? Can it be fixed instead of having to replace a brand new bumper?
Radar is behind the bumper, the latest is that if you take a Model S in for service, that they actually disconnect them. It isn't needed nor used anymore.

But the problem is probably not that the sensor or radar is broken, but the mount for it is. On the Model Y, I believe the mount is an integral part of the bumper.

Just respond to their message and ask them.

I'd go into service mode and see what sensors it has a problem with. Here are all the details: Service Mode – TeslaTap Once in service mode go to driver assist and select sensors (see photos in my article).

The radar is not installed on the bumper but behind the bumper. I don't understand why they think it needs replacement as it's no longer used. Any chance the estimate just indicates disconnecting it? They disconnect it as it has a minor power drain, even if not used.