Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How little effort can Turo'ing a Model 3 on the weekdays be?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in San Francisco and walk to work on the week days. However I really miss having a car for the weekends. There are so many events outside of the city, not to mention hiking and outdoor stuff, etc. That said, it's really hard to justify having a car just for 1 or 2 days a week. Let along justifying a Model 3...

I am wondering how little effort can Turo'ing a Model 3 on the weekdays be? I know the Model 3 is not eligible for Turo Go, which is a major bummer. If Turo'ing a Model 3 requires a lot of time and effort on my part, I might have to consider an ICE vehicle and do Turo Go with that instead.....

My one and only time using Turo was to test drive a Model 3 in January 2018. Registering was quite easy and I had a choice of three or four cars. There are probably more now :) . Yeah, just checked and there's easily 60 of them when using San Francisco as the location and July 23-26 as the rental dates.

From what I recall, registering was pretty painless. About the same as a commercial rental company. Right now the most time you'll spend is deciding which one to pick from. That means reading all of the "fine print" in the descriptions. Such as, maximum mileage per day, dos and don'ts, where you can pick up and return.

Turo Go was not available when I used the service. Sounds simpler in principle.

I guess I wasn't clear. My question pertains to Turo'ing a Model 3 out and make money. And I am wondering what's the least effort required to do that on a regular basis. For example would a routine like the following work?

Rental process
- Renter checks-in by taking photos of exterior
- Owner remote unlocks Model 3 and glovebox
- Renter take hold of key fob from glovebox
- Renter completes checkin by taking photos of interior, mileage and charge level
- Renter unplugs vehicle from charger
- Renter drives off

Return process
- Renter parks car into pre-specified spot
- Renter plugs car back in for charge
- Renter places key fob back into glove box
- Renter checks-out by taking photos of exterior, interior, mileage and charge level and send to owner
- Owner remote locks vehicle

Can this work? Am I missing anything here? Can this be any more streamlined? I think this is still a little more effort than Turo Go as I think their app can auto lock/unlock vehilce just based on the reception of photos into the Turo App. Instead of needing owner intervention. But not certain either way.

Thanks!