Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long between inspection and PTO? [various areas]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
5 days, Dallas-Ft. Worth
Install 1-26-2023
PTO 1-31-2023
That's very quick from install to PTO. my install is on 2/7/23 and today Tesla contractor left all the materials at the back of my driveway. I don't know how long it will be from there to inspection and then PTO. When was your inspection? i am in MD ( Bethesda) and Pepco is my utility.

In Maryland, utility is Baltimore Gas & Electric (BGE). Project ordered and contracted with Tesla Certified Installer American Home Contractors, as part of a larger contract including new siding, doors, widows, etc...
Contract completed and signed Oct 2021
Siding, windows & doors installation completed in spring of 2022
17 kw Solar Roof installation completed in July 2022
DC wiring to inverter location run August 2022
2 Inverters and Gateway, 3x Powerwall 2 installed January 28 2023
Power storage connection request form for BGE signed February 1 2023

Interested to see when BGE inspection, final connection, and PTO occur. Any viewers in this area with recent experience please weigh in....
American Home Contractors seems to do better than Tesla does with a number of aspects of a project like this, judging from reading thru this lengthy thread. The Tesla Certified Installer approach has been utilized for a relatively short time, and American Home Contractors has been going thru some growing pains - especially after passage of the IRA last year increased their incoming workload. The delay period toward the end of 2022 was helpful to me from a $$ perspective, I'm paying cash as the invoices arrive so pushing the last several into 2023 had some positives. Overall I am thinking such a project with a Tesla Certified Installer like American Home Contractors is an improvement on Tesla's in house installation efforts, especially after exposure to the stories of others. The non solar part of the project went quite well, and integrating that with the Solar Roof project simplified all of it being under contract with one company. AHC maintains a high level of quality and professionalism across the a large project like ours.

Any recent BGE PTO experiences would be welcome information....
I am in Montgomery County, MD and Pepco is my utility company.
I already have a 5.4kW system and my second system of 5.2kW which is to be installed by Tesla on 2/7/23.
Pepco approved my design on 1/26/23 but I had to send the email approval to Tesla to move forward and they scheduled for 2/7 around 2/1. They unloaded the materials today. Hopefully, the inspection and PTO won't take too long.

That's very quick from install to PTO. my install is on 2/7/23 and today Tesla contractor left all the materials at the back of my driveway. I don't know how long it will be from there to inspection and then PTO. When was your inspection? i am in MD ( Bethesda) and Pepco is my utility.
Inspection was next day.

5 days, Dallas-Ft. Worth
Install 1-26-2023
Inspection 1-27-2023
PTO 1-31-2023

Reactions: bhakan
I have a current Solar City/Tesla system(5.4kW) that is already on and getting nother 5.2kW installed on Feb7th, will my current system be off and not working when I wait for the PTO for the new system? Tesla told me that they are going to tie the two systems for net metering as I have a net metering for my current system. I appreciate any input. TIA

All discussions above have raised my curiosity on capacity of solar generation by per panel. Tesla has installed 18 panels of T400H on my roof for 7.2Kw. 14 panels are on north side of the roof and 2 panels at east facing roof and 2 at south facing roof. The total average output of solar generation is approximately 8-9 kWh everyday. Is that right or something is messed up in their installation or configuration?

Last edited:
Tesla Solar won't let you pay for a cash system with credit cards, but Tesla Finance in Draper, UT will (or did as of Dec '22). Once I had my final invoice, I called them directly and they took they CC payment.

There are a few threads on this forum about that, but they're confusing to me because people sometimes post "I called them and they said no CCs". If "them" = "Tesla Solar", being told no is to be expected. If "them" = "Tesla Finance", being told no would be the first time I'm hearing about it. Also quite a few Reddit threads on the subject.
Want to pay by Credit Card? Call Tesla at 18779737652. I just paid days ago. you are welcome.

Reactions: TwistedGray
Hi guys - I have a 12.8kw Solar panel system and 1 powerwall+. The installation was done on Jan 4th, town inspection passed on Jan 25th, and payment was made on Jan 27th. Its been like 3 weeks since I paid the invoice and still waiting for Tesla interconnection's team to submit documents to PSEG NJ for PTO. I spoke to my project advisor and they say they are prepping the documents and once ready they will submit them to PSEG NJ for review.

Any suggestions on how to expedite this?
Is anyone in NJ waiting for PTO?

thanks!

All discussions above have raised my curiosity on capacity of solar generation by per panel. Tesla has installed 18 panels of T400H on my roof for 7.2Kw. 14 panels are on north side of the roof and 2 panels at east facing roof and 2 at south facing roof. The total average output of solar generation is approximately 8-9 kWh everyday. Is that right or something is messed up in their installation or configuration?
A couple of things..... one, you never get sustained rated output. The sunlight, if it happens to strike the panel in an optimium manner, is always moving. If you have panels on different roof slopes, you are going to see better output on one slope when there is less than better output on another. Hopefully, as the sun moves across the sky, those different slopes get some period of time with good production. A comparison might be my mother's house (in MD) has a 7kw system, all on a southern roof slope. The best days of the year might be around 30kwh, but all on one south slope is probably a good advantage. Right now, in March, it hits about 20 kwh on a really sunny day. Of course there are cloudy days, and rainy days, etc.... where there is little to no production. Last month, that system produced 432 kwh. Last Sept, 543. This past Dec, 353. Jan, 282. It makes around 6000 kwh annually, more or less.
14 panels on a north slope doesn't sound like the best exposure. Would have been better on the south slope, if possible. If that would be possible, I would get that changed. But maybe the space availability drove it.

Last edited:
I am hoping to find out about this process very soon, in Carroll County MD. I am scheduled for final electrical hookup (meter pull) on Monday. The county inspection will also be done on Monday. Then getting PTO from BGE, and their two way meter swap will be the remaining step. But, it's my area certified Tesla installer doing this, not Tesla. My Project Manager says it takes a couple of weeks. I hope so, it's been a long time coming....

I am in Montgomery County, MD and Pepco is my utility company.
I already have a 5.4kW system and my second system of 5.2kW which is to be installed by Tesla on 2/7/23.
Pepco approved my design on 1/26/23 but I had to send the email approval to Tesla to move forward and they scheduled for 2/7 around 2/1. They unloaded the materials today. Hopefully, the inspection and PTO won't take too long.
I am now scheduled for meter pull, final connection, and inspection on Monday March 20. My Tesla Certified Installer project manager says PTO and meter swap could be a couple of weeks later.

Reactions: aristobrat
I am now scheduled for meter pull, final connection, and inspection on Monday March 20. My Tesla Certified Installer project manager says PTO and meter swap could be a couple of weeks later.
My original install on 2/7/23 did not occur as Tesla decided that day when they were there that I needed a new main panel. It's not an upgrade as I already had a subpanel for upgrades to 200A 15 yrs ago. No idea why Tesla did not say that to me prior when one of their rep did a site visit in Nov '22. So, I got an electrician to do a new main panel replacement and he redid the circuit breakers etc etc. Then we had a MoCo inspection and I sent the approval sticker to Tesla. Tesla gave me an install date in 5 days and installed the panels this Tues, 3/14/23. I have the MoCo inspection on 3/21. Then I pay and the next step is PTO. Since I already have a net meter for my current PV system Tesla thinks it won't take much time and that it may be an online review and approval. We will see.
Hope you get your PTO sooner.

My original install on 2/7/23 did not occur as Tesla decided that day when they were there that I needed a new main panel. It's not an upgrade as I already had a subpanel for upgrades to 200A 15 yrs ago. No idea why Tesla did not say that to me prior when one of their rep did a site visit in Nov '22. So, I got an electrician to do a new main panel replacement and he redid the circuit breakers etc etc. Then we had a MoCo inspection and I sent the approval sticker to Tesla. Tesla gave me an install date in 5 days and installed the panels this Tues, 3/14/23. I have the MoCo inspection on 3/21. Then I pay and the next step is PTO. Since I already have a net meter for my current PV system Tesla thinks it won't take much time and that it may be an online review and approval. We will see.
Hope you get your PTO sooner.
I am thinking your PTO will be sooner than mine, simply due to no further need for a utility visit to swap your meter. I'm expecting my earliest PTO might be in the first half of April.

Reactions: bhakan