Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

new england area eversource PTO expectation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone in new England area have been dealing with Eversource before?
any expectation on the timeline for the PTO after tesla submitted all the document?

8kv + 2 powerwall
my project timeline:
ordered 2020-06
utility approval 2021-01
first installation crew determine roof need replace 2021-03
roof replaced on 2021-04
final installation completed 2021-05
passed inspection one week after install
document submitted to eversource last week

now waiting for meter (two way and production meter) to install and PTO.

I’m in MA with Eversource and had PV installed in January. At that time they were saying 3-4 weeks after paperwork for the meter swap. Reach out to them on Twitter. I did after 3 weeks and they had someone install the meters the next day, also sent them a follow up after he was gone asking a about PTO, and got that 75min after the meters were installed.

In NH, I was told 1-10 business days for Eversource, and was given PTO in about one week from all final paperwork submitted to them.
I’m in MA with Eversource and had PV installed in January. At that time they were saying 3-4 weeks after paperwork for the meter swap. Reach out to them on Twitter. I did after 3 weeks and they had someone install the meters the next day, also sent them a follow up after he was gone asking a about PTO, and got that 75min after the meters were installed.

this looks much better than i expected.
my initial design review process with them took close to 4 month+, which gets me very worried.

this looks much better than i expected.
my initial design review process with them took close to 4 month+, which gets me very worried.
Yea, it took almost 4 months for their initial approval for mine last fall. I’m 100% serious about reaching out on Twitter though. My project coordinator (non-Tesla) said she usually gets notified by Eversource when they are ready to install the meters, and in my case she didn’t get a heads up for either the meter swap or PTO. I think the Twitter team was able to speed something up and bypass whoever she was working with. She also said she’s never seen PTO granted so quickly after a meter install (on a Friday afternoon no less).

Here is my Eversource MA 2020 timeline.

6/13 Made $100 deposit online to get the project started. Used my own referal link.
6/19 Received notification of layout completed. Documents appeared online with paperwork for Tesla and Eversource
6/21 Noticed new 340W panels and better pricing.
6/23 Site survey completed. Also asked for change to new panels and pricing.
7/10 Received notification that they received the Town's electrical/structural permit.
7/16 Updated plan to include 340W panels instead of 330W panels and new lower pricing.
7/16 Signed updated paperwork including Eversource docs. Kicked off the path to install.
7/21 Received email from Eversource saying application received for SMART program
8/19 Received email from Eversource saying application approved for SMART program.

... Insane long wait for Eversource to approve application for installation. Was told that it could be 2-9 weeks from Eversource being paid their application fee and signed paperwork...

10/1 Email received to sign Interconnection service agreement with Eversource. Permission received to schedule installation. Was given a link on Tesla account online to do an online schedule. Picked earliest available install which was 10/20.
10/13 Received phone call from Tesla saying they had an opening, would I "mind" if they came on 10/14-10/15. I said YESSSSS
10/14 8am-5pm: Two crews arrive to do the install, one to do panel prep and wiring and the other to do the powerwall and gateway install. The inverter, powerwalls, and an electrical panel to hold the inverter and powerwall breakers were installed in the basement. They spent a few hours in the attic running the wires for the panels to an exterior conduit which runs from the wall in the attic to the basement. The electrical work was completed the first day except for wiring the panels to the inverter. No panels were placed on the first day. Eversource installs an additional meter for solar production and requires a main cutoff switch on the exterior. The socket for the new meter was also installed but bridged until Eversource comes to install it and to replace the regular meter with a net metering version. Powerwalls arrived about 25% charged and a test was done to power the house from the powerwalls.
10/15 8am-4pm: One larger crew arrived to finish solar panel install and to connect the inverter. Spent about 1 hour in the attic with the wiring to connect panels and about 1 hour in the basement to hook up inverter. The rest of the time was installing panels. I have a total of 36 panels, two strings on the main roof (15 and 12 cell strings) and another triangular shape of 8 panels in the third string. They tested the panels and they were generating. They were told by the lead guy from powerwall crew to check in with him when they were done to double check the CT configuration in the gateway. They couldn't reach him and left. What this meant is that there was indeed a problem with the CT configuration and the powerwalls wouldn't charge from the solar panels. They said they would fix this when they came back for the town inspection.
10/16 Got a call from the inspection scheduler who was aware of the minor issue and scheduled the inspection for 10/21 in the morning.
10/21 Tesla and the inspector arrive at the same time and the inspector went over the electrical. Passed with no issues. The Tesla tech stayed around to fix the CT and the system is fully operational.
As of 10/29, Tesla has not informed Eversource of the passed inspection by the town. When I exchanged email with my advisor he says that the group that files paperwork with the utilities is "backed up". So at this point the delay in getting PTO is squarely on Tesla. The documents that I previously signed for Eversource claim that they will install the new meters within 10 days of getting the paperwork including the passed inspection.
11/09 update, still waiting for PTO. It turns out that the town had not fully signed off on closing the permit, they needed tesla to send a structural plan signed by a PE. This happened 11/6 and so the town informed Tesla they are all set. Now still waiting for Tesla to tell Eversource and for Eversource to come by to install the solar production meter and replace the ordinary meter with a net-metering version. Waiting for PTO is painful.
11/16 update. Got a text from Tesla informing me that they've finally submitted my install to Eversource. Now just waiting for Eversource to install new meters and give PTO. 2 months since install was finished.
11/19 update Eversource came by to install the net-metering and solar production meters. Power was off for 9 seconds, powerwalls kicked in to avoid issues in house. Now just need official word for PTO.
12/24/20 PTO.

My pto took over a month after the meter install and I believe that it was nudged forward by contacting the eversource contact on this page, under the electric distribution company contact, mentioning that I had been waiting a month since the net metering meters were installed and he replied that he would look into it and I got PTO a couple of days later. You might try contacting him, after your net-meter is installed. In my email I mentioned that I found his contact info on that page.

Eversource is contractually obligated (fwiw) to install your net meter within 10 days of being notified by tesla submission of permits closed. Meter installation delay was only a few days for me. PTO took forever (5 weeks) after that. YMMV

TL;DR version. 3 days from tesla submitting final paperwork to Eversource for production and net meters to be installed. 5 weeks after that to get pto, which was the day after I emailed the eversource solar contact.
thanks for your reply, i actually found this timeline in other post as well. nice summary.

regarding the connectedsolution and SMART participation, anything additional you need to do? or that is all set after the install?

Saw some people operating the system off-grid before PTO by disconnect the main switch. really tempting to try it out....

Here is my Eversource MA 2020 timeline.

6/13 Made $100 deposit online to get the project started. Used my own referal link.
6/19 Received notification of layout completed. Documents appeared online with paperwork for Tesla and Eversource
6/21 Noticed new 340W panels and better pricing.
6/23 Site survey completed. Also asked for change to new panels and pricing.
7/10 Received notification that they received the Town's electrical/structural permit.
7/16 Updated plan to include 340W panels instead of 330W panels and new lower pricing.
7/16 Signed updated paperwork including Eversource docs. Kicked off the path to install.
7/21 Received email from Eversource saying application received for SMART program
8/19 Received email from Eversource saying application approved for SMART program.

... Insane long wait for Eversource to approve application for installation. Was told that it could be 2-9 weeks from Eversource being paid their application fee and signed paperwork...

10/1 Email received to sign Interconnection service agreement with Eversource. Permission received to schedule installation. Was given a link on Tesla account online to do an online schedule. Picked earliest available install which was 10/20.
10/13 Received phone call from Tesla saying they had an opening, would I "mind" if they came on 10/14-10/15. I said YESSSSS
10/14 8am-5pm: Two crews arrive to do the install, one to do panel prep and wiring and the other to do the powerwall and gateway install. The inverter, powerwalls, and an electrical panel to hold the inverter and powerwall breakers were installed in the basement. They spent a few hours in the attic running the wires for the panels to an exterior conduit which runs from the wall in the attic to the basement. The electrical work was completed the first day except for wiring the panels to the inverter. No panels were placed on the first day. Eversource installs an additional meter for solar production and requires a main cutoff switch on the exterior. The socket for the new meter was also installed but bridged until Eversource comes to install it and to replace the regular meter with a net metering version. Powerwalls arrived about 25% charged and a test was done to power the house from the powerwalls.
10/15 8am-4pm: One larger crew arrived to finish solar panel install and to connect the inverter. Spent about 1 hour in the attic with the wiring to connect panels and about 1 hour in the basement to hook up inverter. The rest of the time was installing panels. I have a total of 36 panels, two strings on the main roof (15 and 12 cell strings) and another triangular shape of 8 panels in the third string. They tested the panels and they were generating. They were told by the lead guy from powerwall crew to check in with him when they were done to double check the CT configuration in the gateway. They couldn't reach him and left. What this meant is that there was indeed a problem with the CT configuration and the powerwalls wouldn't charge from the solar panels. They said they would fix this when they came back for the town inspection.
10/16 Got a call from the inspection scheduler who was aware of the minor issue and scheduled the inspection for 10/21 in the morning.
10/21 Tesla and the inspector arrive at the same time and the inspector went over the electrical. Passed with no issues. The Tesla tech stayed around to fix the CT and the system is fully operational.
As of 10/29, Tesla has not informed Eversource of the passed inspection by the town. When I exchanged email with my advisor he says that the group that files paperwork with the utilities is "backed up". So at this point the delay in getting PTO is squarely on Tesla. The documents that I previously signed for Eversource claim that they will install the new meters within 10 days of getting the paperwork including the passed inspection.
11/09 update, still waiting for PTO. It turns out that the town had not fully signed off on closing the permit, they needed tesla to send a structural plan signed by a PE. This happened 11/6 and so the town informed Tesla they are all set. Now still waiting for Tesla to tell Eversource and for Eversource to come by to install the solar production meter and replace the ordinary meter with a net-metering version. Waiting for PTO is painful.
11/16 update. Got a text from Tesla informing me that they've finally submitted my install to Eversource. Now just waiting for Eversource to install new meters and give PTO. 2 months since install was finished.
11/19 update Eversource came by to install the net-metering and solar production meters. Power was off for 9 seconds, powerwalls kicked in to avoid issues in house. Now just need official word for PTO.
12/24/20 PTO.

My pto took over a month after the meter install and I believe that it was nudged forward by contacting the eversource contact on this page, under the electric distribution company contact, mentioning that I had been waiting a month since the net metering meters were installed and he replied that he would look into it and I got PTO a couple of days later. You might try contacting him, after your net-meter is installed. In my email I mentioned that I found his contact info on that page.

Eversource is contractually obligated (fwiw) to install your net meter within 10 days of being notified by tesla submission of permits closed. Meter installation delay was only a few days for me. PTO took forever (5 weeks) after that. YMMV
How did you get the emails from Eversource re status? Did you have Tesla add you to PowerClerk?

thanks for your reply, i actually found this timeline in other post as well. nice summary.

regarding the connectedsolution and SMART participation, anything additional you need to do? or that is all set after the install?

Saw some people operating the system off-grid before PTO by disconnect the main switch. really tempting to try it out....
I didn’t need to do anything for the SMART or connectedsolution, Tesla got it all set up. I’ve been getting the SMART payments, but they are about 3 months after the month they cover. Once the production meter was installed, all of the power generated was credited for SMART.

On the Connectedsolutions side, there were two events since I got PTO and no payment yet on that program. Based on what has been reported the winter payment comes in June so we’ll see what happens there. The summer part of the program starts in June as well.

😉 One might ”test” their system pre-PTO if they had a jumper in place of their production meter (like I had) if they were careful to not push power back to the grid since the typical non-net-metering meter would charge a person for power sent to the grid. Using self powered mode this might be practical. In the winter this is easier with the lower production, and if a person happened to have an EV to charge during the day. One might want to be careful to not have such a rogue system operating when a power company came by to install meters for example. After the production and net meters are installed one might be able to continue “testing” their system until PTO happens. 😉not that I would have done such a thing or condone it.😉

As always ymmv.

How did you get the emails from Eversource re status? Did you have Tesla add you to PowerClerk?
i didn’t have Tesla do anything special for the emails showing application and approval for the SMART and connectedsolution, it seemed that powerclerk sends those automatically, including the final approval
I did eventually have to pester Tesla to get the official “Statement of qualification” which gives the explanation of which SMART block I was in and the payment rate.

Yea, it took almost 4 months for their initial approval for mine last fall. I’m 100% serious about reaching out on Twitter though. My project coordinator (non-Tesla) said she usually gets notified by Eversource when they are ready to install the meters, and in my case she didn’t get a heads up for either the meter swap or PTO. I think the Twitter team was able to speed something up and bypass whoever she was working with. She also said she’s never seen PTO granted so quickly after a meter install (on a Friday afternoon no less).
im able to get a reply from twitter mention about 5~10businee day for meter, and another 5 after meter install for PTO. Its not too bad. hopefully they can get it done that way.

i didn’t have Tesla do anything special for the emails showing application and approval for the SMART and connectedsolution, it seemed that powerclerk sends those automatically, including the final approval
I did eventually have to pester Tesla to get the official “Statement of qualification” which gives the explanation of which SMART block I was in and the payment rate.
Thanks! Apparently Tesla’s been sitting on the signed paperwork for two weeks, which explains why I haven’t heard anything from Eversource. 🙄

TL;DR version. 3 days from tesla submitting final paperwork to Eversource for production and net meters to be installed. 5 weeks after that to get pto, which was the day after I emailed the eversource solar contact.
we are able to get the meter installed today and was told the PTO expect next week.
the guy install the meter told me i can turn it on now... not sure will there be issues...

BTW, which version of the software you are running? i noted for the connected solutions, it start today, im not sure if im too late for that or not.

My system still running 20.49.0 Which it was updated to after installation. Once you have the net meter and production meters installed you can run the system without issue. Your bill will not show the generation meter until after you get PTO. The first bill showing the generation meter will give you credit (for SMART purposes) for all the generation.

I found no downside running the system after the meters were installed. The SMART payment (with powerwall addon) is just based on the production meter so that should be all set, although the first check takes like 3 months to show up. You can set up direct deposit for those payments. I don’t know for sure about connected solutions but their language implies that you get paid proportional to your output and number of events you participate in, unless you opt out before the end of a season. I‘ve been led to believe that the winter payment doesn’t happen until June and I haven’t seen that yet. My system came up partway through their winter season and it seems like I saw two events. We‘ll see what happens there.

I did get an email from connectedsolutions today announcing the season starting, did you get that?