Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long between site inspection and installation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla did the site survey on April 19 for a 4 KW system with a power wall. The job is permitted and PG&E initial docs are completed. I have no other docs to finish. The inspector said the roof (standing seam, newly installed) would present no problems. As of today, I’m waiting for Tesla to contact me to set the installation date. Is this a typical?

Upvote 0
Im going on 5+ months, I ordered in January and still dont have it activated, but I am paying for it. Tesla energy is a complete and total sh*tshow, they are disorganized, uncoordinated, and impossible to reach. Im sorry I went with Tesla.
I have friends looking to do solar. I am NOT recommending Tesla. Just not worth the issues. And in Calif, one needs to be done before end of year and NEM3

Reactions: DJVoorhees
Upvote 0
Im going on 5+ months, I ordered in January and still dont have it activated, but I am paying for it. Tesla energy is a complete and total sh*tshow, they are disorganized, uncoordinated, and impossible to reach. Im sorry I went with Tesla.

Thats not the question the OP asked. They asked time from site inspection to installation, not time from site inspection to PTO.

Upvote 0
And I answered perfectly - Tesla is a complete disaster so there is nobody that can tell him with any certianty. They are the worst organized company on the planet.

Your answer was "5+ months and I dont have it activated". Unless your system is not Installed, you didnt answer what was asked. Is it installed? BTW, I obviously agree there is no way to know how long it will take between "site survey and installation", which can be seen by my first response in this thread of "a few weeks to several months".

Upvote 0
And I answered perfectly - Tesla is a complete disaster so there is nobody that can tell him with any certianty. They are the worst organized company on the planet.
I agree, when I think completed and installed, should be when you can actually use it. You have to pay after its installed, but not completed. Unfortunately, many do not know, that after its installed, you could be looking at another 3+ months before you can actually turn it on. The timelines on Tesla's website are the very best case scenario, and many are left scratching there heads months later wondering what is going on. My timeline according to Tesla was 1-5 weeks install, 1-6 weeks PTO. My order was placed 3/2, installed 5/7, no PTO as of yet, and being told 135 days for PTO. I did get an interconnection agreement to sign (6/8), but was told it was not to submit to PG&E, rather just to get the process started. If they simply would have said from the start, I was looking at 6+ months before I could turn on, I would have looked at some local companies. I do know Tesla is cheapest, but at the rate we are going, I will miss all my summer generation, which could be the difference between Tesla, and another company.

Upvote 0
I think if you read around a bit, the first follow up question would be -- "where are you located and what utility are you dealing with?"

In my case there was about a 60 day wait from installation to PTO, and I don't think one day of it was Tesla's fault. Other situations may be different, but some utilities are just complete jerks about PTO, or are so understaffed that it appears that they are.

My neighbor put in a non-Tesla system and had the same wait times all along the process. Of course, he might have had his local company holding his hand along the way, but I'm in the camp where I don't need anyone to hold my hand --- I'll take the $25K instead.

Your mileage may vary.

Upvote 0