Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long to get registration card - California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From delivery day, how long did people take to get registration / papers / license plates etc. in California?

Im itching to apply for rebates and my Diamond lane stickers. But nothing yet - its been... about 4 weeks. Is that normal? I dont buy many cars in the US, am new here... the UK is pretty quick to send you stuff.

Cheers all.

@BayAreaCelt - I believe you can apply for the rebate before you receive your registration sticker or plates. I took delivery of my M3 on September 29th and haven't received my plates or registration stickers yet. I did however apply for the CA rebate and was already approved. Just waiting on the check to be cut and mailed out!

From delivery day, how long did people take to get registration / papers / license plates etc. in California?

Im itching to apply for rebates and my Diamond lane stickers. But nothing yet - its been... about 4 weeks. Is that normal? I dont buy many cars in the US, am new here... the UK is pretty quick to send you stuff.

Cheers all.

For the rebate app all you need is temporary registration- enjoy the M3

@BayAreaCelt - I believe you can apply for the rebate before you receive your registration sticker or plates. I took delivery of my M3 on September 29th and haven't received my plates or registration stickers yet. I did however apply for the CA rebate and was already approved. Just waiting on the check to be cut and mailed out!
Last i checked there is Waitlist for CA rebate for funding (as usual) so unless you are in a specific “low income” bracket using the temp reg will not speed things up.. unless something changed i’m not aware of

Last i checked there is Waitlist for CA rebate for funding (as usual) so unless you are in a specific “low income” bracket using the temp reg will not speed things up.. unless something changed i’m not aware of

@Electrph there was a wait list period from sometime in June through September 25th. I took delivery on September 29th and there was no wait list. I already received confirmation that my rebate was approved and that I would receive a check in the next 90 days.

EDIT: Meant to add that I don't qualify for any lower income exceptions.

• Informative
Reactions: dchobo and Electrph
@Electrph there was a wait list period from sometime in June through September 25th. I took delivery on September 29th and there was no wait list. I already received confirmation that my rebate was approved and that I would receive a check in the next 90 days.

EDIT: Meant to add that I don't qualify for any lower income exceptions.
Oh thats awesome .. yea i know one of the 3 rebates allowed temp was prob CA so i ignored
Thanks i’ll get on that before they “run out of funds” again :rolleyes:

Reactions: AquaDolphin
How does this work? i though 2020 sticker only apply to 2020 Model Year or car first register in 2020

The stickers you are issued are based on when they are issued, not when you register the car. You can buy a used 2014 Model S today and get a sticker valid for 4 years on 1/1/20 so long as it has not been issued HOV stickers before, model year of the car is irrelevant.

I took delivery on 9/25 & still waiting for my plates & registration. I have already applied for my CA rebate & PG&E ($800) rebate. Everything's been approved just waiting on payment. I believe the CA website said it could be up to 90 days for rebate. The only thing I have to wait on is the HOV sticker, you need you actual plate number for that.

Reactions: dchobo
I took delivery on 9/19. The paperwork was mailed out next day.

I received my plates Oct 18. So looking at 30-31 days. DMV says its 4-6 weeks. I live in SoCal.

I did not know about the HOV sticker - I assumed that they all expired at the same time. The purple HOV stickers all expire 1/2023...
The Tesla Sales Rep explained that the earlier you buy the car, the longer you can take advantage...because it's not based on your delivery date and then plus 4 years. I shall do some more reading....

Reactions: BayAreaCelt
Clearly, its not so clear to us all. Seems to be a bit of a maze of regulations, experiences and timescales for people etc. Thanks for sharing, I learn a bit more from you all about this every time someone adds a bit more. Feds and State do a poor job of communicating everything needed to know in one location. The DMV website is not overly helpful either. I have to wait for the PG&E rebate till I get the actual card - but Im about 30 days now so will just post off my diamond lane stickers application - thats not dependent on the registration card. Sadly I dont qualify for the rebate, just the 1800 tax thing. Some unplugged performance parts on my way with that I think.. or its towards a wrap and window tint as its a bit warm in the sun in that mobile greenhouse! Thanks to you all