Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

how many kept your old ICE around as a backup? And how long before selling it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my S85 in early March 2013. I had some concerns about early build quality so kept my 2011 A4 for a couple of months. Our high school senior, aided by my wife who drives our 2002 Odyssey minivan and doesn't want to change, took advantage of the situation and claimed the Audi for the spring and summer. I sold it when he started college nearby in the city.

I never needed it as a backup. Though I loved that car, when I drove it the last time before selling it back to the dealer I realized I didn't miss it. And I was very glad to remove an 18 year old as a primary driver - he was driving up our insurance premiums dramatically.

We still have our 2004 Lexus RX 330 hanging around. I'll likely keep it not because it has an ICE but because having a 2nd vehicle can be good at times. If I could afford a second Model S I would do that in a heartbeat! I think once the Model E, er, 3 comes out I'll dump the ICE car then. I don't think I can justify a lower end all electric after driving the Tesla for a couple of weeks. And I certainly don't want another ICE based car. What I *really* want is the P85D, but alas that is simply out of my price range.

I did have a bit of range anxiety before we got the car, but we live riiiiiight next to Disneyland. There is a ton of charging infrastructure over here. While I can't charge up in our apartment complex (yet) I can literally drive across the street to a local J1772 Blink charger. Working at SpaceX makes it easy too as we have Tesla HPWC's on-site for employees and the Hawthorne SuperCharger right in our back yard.

Who knows, maybe in a couple of months after not driving the RX-330 since we got the Tesla and then realizing that it won't start because the battery is dead we'll simply dump the car and use that to grab a second Tesla ;)

Who knows, maybe in a couple of months after not driving the RX-330 since we got the Tesla and then realizing that it won't start because the battery is dead we'll simply dump the car and use that to grab a second Tesla ;)

There will be a lot of used Model S coming on the market over the next year thanks to the D and the X - especially in California.

We drive a hybrid garage. We're down to three cars from a high of five. We had three EVs with our Active E, the Roadster, and Model S for daily driving. BMW took our Active E back, so the Model S became the daily driver. We sold a 328i Convertible in April after it became apparent that it isn't going to rain in drought stricken Southern California and my wife can drive her Roadster with impunity. We were going to add an i3 for a daily driver so we can garage her Roadster, but she'll have none of it, so stuck with Tesla. We have a 2001 BMW X5 for "snow days" and to buy and haul things we don't want to dirty the Model S with. It's fully paid for and I've managed to kill its battery. So, we drive it a little bit nowadays to keep the battery alive.

Went from 80/20 EV::ICE driving to closer to 95/5 nowadays.

It's a great car and cheap to keep. Probably not going with the Model X because of the Falcon Wing Doors and my desire to continue to carry skis on top of the car, the Model S is already too long for the garage and wouldn't be able to fit a Model X in the garage. Now an S85D however... That might convince us to drop to two cars. But, then what car would we use to haul "crap"....

I would love to have an all electric garage, but this upcoming weekend is an example of why we cannot at this time - we are meeting a group in South Carolina, and superchargers will only get us half way there. Plus, traveling with a group, we can not go too much off the beaten path to find alternative charging stations plus the additional time they take. So, at the present time we have the S and our 12 year old Pilot. We have an X reservation, so time will tell.

I had a 2003 Nissan 350z (blue, 6speed manual) and a 2002 Audi A4 3.0 Quattro when my Model S arrived. I loved the Z, and it was my first brand new car I ever purchased, and did it all on my own. Drove it for ~95,000 miles over 11 years, dragged raced it and auto-crossed it. And within two days of having my Tesla Model S P85+ ... I knew I'd never drive the Z again. (It was bitter-sweet realization.) So two days ... but logistically took about month before I got around to get it sold.

I've kept the Audi, because I'm a snowboarder, and head up to Tahoe - which is the whole reason I bought that car (and its got like a brand new set of snow tires on it). When the MS was in for the 12.5k service (it got a new drive motor and master charger ... so it was at the service center for 2.5 days) - I drove the Audi ... which is a great car ... but felt like a tiny go-cart I was cramped into. Was also the first time I touch a gas pump in 5+ months.

With the P85D ... only being about $3-4k more than I spent on the P85+ ... it is really tempting to trade up, and go a solo, all electric garage. The Audi cost less per year to keep (insurance+registration) than to rent a car for the weekend (especially AWD) - and it's a little beat up ... probably only worth $3-4k ... so for right now, will be holding steady with the P85+ and the A4.

I live in an area and have a lifestyle that works very well for an all electric (at least an all Tesla) garage. Other than loaning Audi out to a friend for a few weeks, and the 2.5 days I drove it while the Model S was in for service ... the Audi probably won't get driven again until there are the lifts are running up at Heavenly.

7 months, 15,000+ miles ... 4 round trips from SF (RWC) <-> LA (once to SD, and then up to Sac and back SF/RWC) ... no issues, never ran out of charge. No regrets. (Well, other than not being able to place an order for a P85D ... right now.)