Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many Powerwall batteries are people getting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just wanted to get an idea of how many batteries people are getting for their house.

I know it's depends on many variables, like much the house uses, how much they generate etc etc.

I've been looking to get into solar, but with the new changes that PG&E is doing with the rates I think the Powerwall is becoming necessary. I'm just not sure how many I would need. I look at my usage from month to moth and I use around 10kwh a day at most. So I think one 7kw powerwall will be enough but i'm thinking I should probably get two just in case.

I just wanted to get an idea of how many batteries people are getting for their house.
I installed 24kWh of Litium batteries to power my critical loads panel that uses about 6kWhr per day during the 6 hours that I run the inverter. That leaves me with a reserve for a power outage and ensures that I don't stress the cells. Since my system doesn't have a warranty on the batteries my best insurance is low cycle depth of discharge.
The answer for you is related to how you are going to use it, ie.peak shaving, arbitrage, maximizing solar sales to your utility to name a few.

I installed 24kWh of Litium batteries to power my critical loads panel that uses about 6kWhr per day during the 6 hours that I run the inverter. That leaves me with a reserve for a power outage and ensures that I don't stress the cells. Since my system doesn't have a warranty on the batteries my best insurance is low cycle depth of discharge.
The answer for you is related to how you are going to use it, ie.peak shaving, arbitrage, maximizing solar sales to your utility to name a few.

What do 24kWh worth of batteries run these days?

I'm getting them for outages. My plan is to use the grid to my (and the utility's, and my neighbors') advantage. Initially I thought about trying to incorporate enough storage for grid-free living, but it doesn't make much sense when I have the grid available.

I've got 9.5kW of PV installed now and am looking to install another 5-6kW. That should cover two electric cars, my house, my pool and pool house from a net energy perspective. So really I just care to be able to keep the refrigerator, computers, lights, etc on. During possible brownouts, also be able to run the AC. So.. maybe 2-3 Powerwall units?

I prefer the Powerwall because it is built by a company that has demonstrated expertise in high capacity Lion storage batteries, and I support Tesla's mission to promote sustainable energy. Batteries are an integral part of that mission. And of course I'm a Tesla owner and shareholder who owns two Tesla's and has had a very positive ownership experience. For all of those reasons, I will be buying a Powerwall.

I suspect that part of the reason those Hawaii-based companies don't recommend the Powerwall is because they have no experience with them, but do have experience with other manufacturers so prefer to work with what they know.