Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much power drains while parked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hi.
New 3 awd Lr dual motor
What do you notice being lost when parked over several days?
Can the battery totally die after how long?
While parked in an airport parking lot and sentry monitor turned on over 3 days I lost 12% SoC. I have a Mdl P3D+. And while parked at work I see 3% drop over a 10-11 hr period (sentry monitor is off). These big drops started to occur when the temps started getting 90+. I'm guessing the reason is overheat protection, which is turned on, is cooling the electronics and batteries.

I've read from a number of places and in the owners manual and update release notes the car will go into a "deep sleep" when SoC falls below 20%.

I’m leaving cabin overheat protection on. I charge at home anyways. I have solar to offset my bill. And I want the cars sensitive electronics in a not too hot temperature. Our glass roof seem to make our cabins like a greenhouse.
I believe that glass roof reflects more IR and UV light than a conventional roof. My previous car, which was black with no sun roof, would easily hit 110-120 F when the outside air temp was 95F. My Tesla has hit 101F cabin temp once so far (outside temp was 97F). In my old car the steering wheel would be so hot I had to use driving gloves. My Tesla the steering wheel is warm but not scorching like my other car.

Additional important questions ... what model? What SoC % left at, and what on return?
It's a model 3 performance. Left it at 7:30 AM w/ 87% SoC. Left work at 5:00 PM w/ 84% SoC. My earlier statement of the IR/UV coating on the glass roof reflects more heat thereby reducing the cabin temp as compared to a metal roof. The cabin overheat protection was keeping the cabin temp around 101-102 F while the outside air temp was 97 F. Turned off the cabin overheat protection on a 95-97F day and the temp soared to 156 F. Fortunately, i was monitoring the cabin temp and it was at that high temp for not too long of a period. As you probably know this is above the temperature range in the owners manual (65 /149 C/F). Weird things were happening like the phone app could not communicate with the car. Did a reset and turned on the overheat protection allowing the car to cool to around 100 F. Everything works normally. The cabin temp will climb to 50F above ambient, which in many location around the country will be well above the 149 F limits stated in the manual. So the 3% SoC drop over a 10 hour period is something one has to simply accept. Hope this answers your questions, plus the added info provided

• Helpful
Reactions: Rottenapplr
I believe that glass roof reflects more IR and UV light than a conventional roof. My previous car, which was black with no sun roof, would easily hit 110-120 F when the outside air temp was 95F. My Tesla has hit 101F cabin temp once so far (outside temp was 97F). In my old car the steering wheel would be so hot I had to use driving gloves. My Tesla the steering wheel is warm but not scorching like my other car.
But the cabin being 101f inside while the outside was 97 was with cabin over heat on. So kinda makes it a moot point given the tesla has an advantage over a conventional car with black room and no cabin overheat protection.