Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How on earth do they assign VINs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Placed an order for an SR+ (black/black/aero/AP) on 5/21 and received a VIN of 399,xxx on 5/27. Based on this, will it come with HW3 or HW2.5?

I ordered my SR+ (red/black/19" wheels/HW2.5 but didn't know it then) on 6/6 and picked it up 6/16. The door sticker says manufactured in June 2019. So everything about three weeks after pdx_m3s. But my VIN is 311,xxx.

This was when Tesla was rushing to deliver before the tax credit change and quarter ended on 6/30/19 but how do you explain the numbering? Did they start mine in May and then push it off to the side? Are VINs assigned randomly?

And are they finally out of HW2.5 or still sneaking it into SR+ ? (I ordered without FSD but added it in August.)

Likely the paint color explains different range VIN sequencing. Production would have an idea of how many orders there are in the queue for a particular color/version and set the run for that batch. No doubt there is some down time to clean and set up batch changes in paint color, motors, etc. so time gaps between VIN batches could be kind of all over the place. A delay in part availability like white seats over black could factor in too.

Haven’t been following the HW in the car but I also have HW2.5 and later purchased FSD so waiting for my update. If I had extra HW2.5 units I could see using them in cars that don’t order FSD off the bat and upgrading them later if they do. I did think I heard that at some point though that Elon said all new Model 3s beyond X would have HW3 in them.

Reactions: RScottyL