Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to evaluate how much my P3D+ is worth after accident?? (Trying to sell)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently have a late 2018 P3D+ that I'm trying to sell. It got hit in the rear quarter bumper last summer and is now fixed. Everything has been flawless.
I can't find much info elsewhere, I tried to look up on cargurus, carfax, etc to see if I can find another P3D+ that got into an accident to see what the average price is but no dice.

So I have a few questions:

1. How do I find the value of my car?
2. How do I sell it? I've never sold a car before.

Thanks!

How bad was the damage? Assuming it was minor and superficial and the repair job was decent, given that used Teslas are in high demand right now, there's probably not going to be that much of difference. I would check if the accident is reported on Carfax. Really just depends on what similar model 3's are for sale in the same price range in your region at the time you are selling. If there are bunch of mint accident-free cars for sale, you might have to undercut them by say 3-5% - it just depends.

It was bad.. but was still drivable after the incident. It's in perfect shape now. How much does it typically cost to check on Carfax? I just wish there was some data so I know what I'm looking at for used P3D+ thats been in an accident

Not sure why it didn't send the pics in the earlier message

Attachments

• IMG_2258.JPG
    IMG_2258.JPG
    389.4 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_2724.JPG
    IMG_2724.JPG
    487.3 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2725.JPG
    IMG_2725.JPG
    548.8 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_2726.jpg
    IMG_2726.jpg
    542.6 KB · Views: 63
Reactions: Msjulie
It was bad.. but was still drivable after the incident. It's in perfect shape now. How much does it typically cost to check on Carfax? I just wish there was some data so I know what I'm looking at for used P3D+ thats been in an accident

Do you have the pics showing the accident damage?

I sold a car with accident damage just before buying the M3, and since I had all the pics and even a video walkaround of the damage, the buyer was able to review the repair work without having to take my word on what was damaged. That makes a big difference to buyers.

Do you have the pics showing the accident damage?

I sold a car with accident damage just before buying the M3, and since I had all the pics and even a video walkaround of the damage, the buyer was able to review the repair work without having to take my word on what was damaged. That makes a big difference to buyers.

Yes I do. Next question, where do you sell your car? Never done this process before

Yes I do. Next question, where do you sell your car? Never done this process before

I sold twp Jaguars cars recently, but they were older models valued in the $10-15K range. I posted them both on AutoTrader, CarGurus, Cars.com, and Craigslist.

The buyers for both cars ended up coming from Craigslist, and they both sold to the first buyers that came to look at the cars, and they bought them with cash and with no drama. They both sold within 4 days of being posted.

Something as expensive as a newish Model 3, your buyers are less likely to come from Craigslist, so I would advertise on the other ones I listed too. Make sure you let them know they need to sort out financing on their own through their credit union or bank. Many buyers of privately sold cars get ahead of themselves and want to close on buying a car before they figured out how they will pay for it.

Last edited:
I sold twp Jaguars cars recently, but they were older models valued in the $10-15K range. I posted them both on AutoTrader, CarGurus, Cars.com, and Craigslist.

The buyers for both cars ended up coming from Craigslist, and they both sold to the first buyers that came to look at the cars, and they bought them with cash and with no drama. They both sold within 4 days of being posted.

Something as expensive as a newish Model 3, your buyers are less likely to come from Craigslist, so I would advertise on the other ones I listed too. Make sure you let them know they need to sort out financing on their own through their credit union or bank. Many buyers of privately sold cars get ahead of themselves and want to close on buying a car before they figured out how they will pay for it.

Do those have listing fees?

Can you elaborate the closing part? What should I expect on my end?

I currently have a late 2018 P3D+ that I'm trying to sell. It got hit in the rear quarter bumper last summer and is now fixed. Everything has been flawless.
I can't find much info elsewhere, I tried to look up on cargurus, carfax, etc to see if I can find another P3D+ that got into an accident to see what the average price is but no dice.

So I have a few questions:

1. How do I find the value of my car?
2. How do I sell it? I've never sold a car before.

Thanks!
Interesting that rearranging the letters of your screen name produce “sold”. Just an observation

^^ That's all I meant. Just making sure. If it's like new I'd say 5-10% depreciation from a new one. What you looking to get out of it? I keep telling myself I don't need a p3d but now that the Y comes out the deals are going to start rolling in on used ones.

You should probably sell asap before all the trades come in.

Do those have listing fees?

Can you elaborate the closing part? What should I expect on my end?

Some do. When you go to the sites it will tell you what their packages are and the prices.

Your Tesla is still just a car, and therefore, selling it privately is just like selling any other car. So instead of me reinventing the wheel on how to sell a car privately, just do a google search, "How to sell you car privately." You can even do the search from the browser on your Tesla's screen.