Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to get Sirius/XM in a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

whenever anyone wants info on an actual satellite connection in the model 3, everyone always randomly replies with the "just use your phone" bit, rather than actually providing any help or info on how to get that connection in the car. it's dismissive of those of us who want an actual satellite connection as if we're all idiots because we won't "just stream it on our phone."

someone (correctly) pointed out that it doesn't work when you have no cell service...and you chimed in with "my service is great!"

that's moving the goalposts. yes, it works when service is great...but that isn't what the question was.

"how well does it work when you have no cell service?" the correct answer is: "it doesn't." period, end of story.

i just finished a road trip from southern california to phoenix, then through sedona to the grand canyon and back. i would estimate that for about 30-40% of that drive i would have been sitting in silence, had i tried to "just stream it through my phone." luckily i have a portable XM unit installed and had no issues with losing my entertainment at any point, save for a few deep canyons near sedona.

Last edited:
I’m very happy with SiriusXM streaming subscription. Works great even in rural areas. It’s not very expensive. I don’t channel surf so it’s perfect for me. I have unlimited data with Verizon.
Okay. Your post is two years old. But it is what I am tring to do today. Using my SiriusXM streamingsubscription I am able to listen on my. IPhone. But how do I get it on the AM radio in myTesla Model S? Step-by-step instru’ctions would be most helpful. Thank you.