Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to measure acceleration time from speedemeter video recording

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Matias

Apr 2, 2014
Finland
Hi

I want to measure 0-100 km/h time from android phone video recording of my 85D speedometer. I know from other sources, that my cars speedometer measures time 2km/h too high, so I can take that into account. I need software (free if possible) to measure time by 0.1 seconds resolution. Any ideas?

Hi

I want to measure 0-100 km/h time from android phone video recording of my 85D speedometer. I know from other sources, that my cars speedometer measures time 2km/h too high, so I can take that into account. I need software (free if possible) to measure time by 0.1 seconds resolution. Any ideas?

I would use something like VLC.

Download VLC and open the video. Go into Tool | Media Information Then go to the "Codec Tab".. Note the Framerate of the video. Should be 29.97 or 30 or maybe 25.
Play the video... when you're close to the start, press the letter "E" on your keyboard, it switches to frame-by-frame... Each time you hit "E" it advances 1 frame. Count the number of frames from 0 to 100... then divide by frame rate.

For example : 110 frames @ 25 frames/sec = 4.4sec.

But I know for a fact this won't be very accurate. I've done it a few times with my 85D and it seems the instrument cluster is always lagging.. its refresh rate is not that fast