Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Annoying changes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks,

I've noticed a few changes to the UI recently that have made the car worse to use. I was wondering if anyone knew a way around them?

Firstly the headlights. I always turn them off out of habit, because the car loves to put the headlights on all the flippin time, even on sunny days.

However, recently they changed things, so that as soon as you put the car in gear it switches back to auto and immediately puts the lights on! Why?! I just turned them off 2 seconds ago. I don't bloody want them on!

The only way I can see around this is to put the car in gear, then switch them off, but I don't know why this even needed changing in the first place, nor why they can't just stay off until you manually switch them back to auto, like every other car.

Secondly is the windscreen demister. Before you could press the button once for light airflow or twice for "MAX". Then pressing it once more would turn the demisting off and put all your settings back to exactly how they were before. Worked perfectly.

Now, once the demister is on, pressing it again just toggles between low and MAX demisting. There doesn't appear to be a quick way to revert back to your normal setting. As far as I can tell, you have to hit Auto, then manually turn the AC off, the blowers back down and the temperature all the way down from HI to whatever you had it on.

All of which is very tricky whilst driving, given that it's all on the screen. Again, I don't understand the reason for changing this when it worked so perfectly before?!

Lastly, about a year ago I switched from Android to an iPhone for the first time (big mistake, iPhones are crap) and ever since the car doesn't unlock half the time, until I take my phone out of my pocket and open the Tesla app.

Any ideas on how to stop that from happening? I don't have any battery saving measures on or anything. It worked flawlessly on my Android phone unless I'd turned the Bluetooth off or the Tesla app had updated and not reopened, but on the iPhone it seems to not work more than it does work. Phone is an iPhone 14 Pro Max.

Thanks in advance.

However, recently they changed things, so that as soon as you put the car in gear it switches back to auto and immediately puts the lights on! Why?! I just turned them off 2 seconds ago. I don't bloody want them on!

What should happen is they should turn on, then once they see it is daytime the headlights turn off and the daytime running lights remain on.