Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to prepare Tesla to drive in morning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I notice that when I have the car in the garage overnight, it is quite sluggish when I first get in it to drive in the morning. I will get in the car and step on the brake, but it won't switch from Easy Entry to my driver profile. When I try to use the touch screen it will be frozen. I will have to wait from 5 - 10 minutes for the car to "warm up", before the screen will become responsive again. Once it is warmed up, everything works as normal. But is there a way to have the car ready to drive as soon as I hop into it without this 5 - 10 minute wait? Or is there something wrong with the car?

If its really "5-10 minutes" instead of "4-5 seconds" (and 5-10 minutes isnt just hyperbole), then yes, something is wrong with the car.

EDIT:

I should have also said, try shutting the car down using the power off command in the menu (open the drivers door, get in but dont close the door, select the power off command, and then exit the car through the still open door, which wont wake the car back up).

Let it sit that way (powered off) for at least 20 minutes, dont wake it up, dont access the app, etc... then see if it is any better. If not, and it really is "5-10 minutes" then you need to make a service appointment.

Last edited:
If its really "5-10 minutes" instead of "4-5 seconds" (and 5-10 minutes isnt just hyperbole), then yes, something is wrong with the car.

EDIT:

I should have also said, try shutting the car down using the power off command in the menu (open the drivers door, get in but dont close the door, select the power off command, and then exit the car through the still open door, which wont wake the car back up).

Let it sit that way (powered off) for at least 20 minutes, dont wake it up, dont access the app, etc... then see if it is any better. If not, and it really is "5-10 minutes" then you need to make a service appointment.
Thanks, trying the power down tonight. I will report back in the morning if it fixed the problem.

EDIT:

This did the trick, in the morning I was able to step on the brake and use the touchscreen within seconds of getting into the car.

So should I be "rebooting" the car in this way on a regular basis? I reboot my computers once a week to chase the gremlins away.

This did the trick, in the morning I was able to step on the brake and use the touchscreen within seconds of getting into the car.

So should I be "rebooting" the car in this way on a regular basis? I reboot my computers once a week to chase the gremlins away.

I only do the "power down" thing in a couple of circumstances:

1. Whenever anything is acting strange / weird. Even if a "two thumbwheel reboot" fixes whatever is wonky, whenever I get back home I will power down and leave the car that way until the next time I need to use it.

2. After EVERY single software update. Call me old school, but my "day job" is in IT, and I have been doing one thing or another in the IT field over 30 years. I always reboot devices after I apply patches / updates professionally, if possible. Sometimes (professionally) thats not easy, because whatever system it is has to stay "up" for one reason or another.

In the case of our cars, thats not the case, so every single software update, after I apply it, and the car is done applying it, that same day I will power off the car as mentioned and let it sit there till I need to use it again (usually overnight).

So, not daily, or weekly or whatever, in general, "whenever I do a software update". Doing this, I almost never experience any of the "gremlins" that others report in relation to "I just got update X and Y is happening now".

Your mileage may vary, of course.

Reactions: pikeman and byeLT4

1. Whenever anything is acting strange / weird. Even if a "two thumbwheel reboot" fixes whatever is wonky, whenever I get back home I will power down and leave the car that way until the next time I need to use it.

2. After EVERY single software update. Call me old school, but my "day job" is in IT, and I have been doing one thing or another in the IT field over 30 years. I always reboot devices after I apply patches / updates professionally, if possible. Sometimes (professionally) thats not easy, because whatever system it is has to stay "up" for one reason or another.

In the case of our cars, thats not the case, so every single software update, after I apply it, and the car is done applying it, that same day I will power off the car as mentioned and let it sit there till I need to use it again (usually overnight).

So, not daily, or weekly or whatever, in general, "whenever I do a software update". Doing this, I almost never experience any of the "gremlins" that others report in relation to "I just got update X and Y is happening now".

I did a software update on Thursday, so maybe that was the cause. Thanks for the suggestion.

Reactions: byeLT4

Your reply made me smile. With a wife and two daughters, I was Resident Tech Support for initial computer problem solutions. My standard instruction was “Reboot your system “. It elevated me beyond the status of mere parent and spouse, and most of the time fixed whatever was loused-up.
Pete

• Love
Reactions: jjrandorin