Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to replace malfunctioning Tesla SSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased the Tesla USB SSD from the Tesla online shop two months ago. My Tesla no longer recognizes the drive. My Tesla will format the drive, but half the time says the format failed. Even if it says that the format is a success the "X" still appears next to the dash cam icon. This happens regardless if the SSD is plugged into the USB-A slot, or the USB-C slot with the enclosed cable adapter. Taking it to the service center results in them testing to see if their USB memory stick functions properly in my car, and then they say it is not our problem, contact the Tesla Shop. The Tesla Shop customer service has not responded to my emails for the past three weeks. The "TeslaCam" folder is present in the root directory.

I purchased the Tesla USB SSD from the Tesla online shop two months ago. My Tesla no longer recognizes the drive. My Tesla will format the drive, but half the time says the format failed. Even if it says that the format is a success the "X" still appears next to the dash cam icon. This happens regardless if the SSD is plugged into the USB-A slot, or the USB-C slot with the enclosed cable adapter. Taking it to the service center results in them testing to see if their USB memory stick functions properly in my car, and then they say it is not our problem, contact the Tesla Shop. The Tesla Shop customer service has not responded to my emails for the past three weeks. The "TeslaCam" folder is present in the root directory.
You can try the contact us page, and select categories until it asks if you need more help, and then you can send a message.
It is from this page and as per that page there should be a one year warranty on the drive (you want also want to check any paperwork that came with the drive for this and also any support options).

You can also try doing a service request in your app. That usually is the fastest way to get someone to respond.

Tesla does not tend to be responsive to emails.

Also if you have a computer, you can perhaps try formating it there and recreating the TeslaCam folder.

Well the day after I made the posting I received an email from Tesla customer service asking me for photos to demonstrate the errors with the Tesla SSD. I took pictures of the display screen, and they stated that they will send me a new SSD upon receipt of the old one.

Well the day after I made the posting I received an email from Tesla customer service asking me for photos to demonstrate the errors with the Tesla SSD. I took pictures of the display screen, and they stated that they will send me a new SSD upon receipt of the old one.
1) I formatted the drive via my Tesla 3

2) connected the drive to my Laptop, and followed the manual format instructions.

(Upon connection to my Laptop I noticed that the drive was named Tesla Drive) So I added the base folders (Create New 📂 Folder) rename it "TeslaCam" and "Tesla TrackMode".

3) reconnected it to the USB port in the Glovebox, and "VOILA" it worked.