Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing USB stick w/ SSD issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a Samsung SSD T7 2TB drive to replace the USB stick and my Tesla Y is not able to read it. The recording button/icon shows unavailable. I can format it from my Y, but still record button/icon is always unavailable. Most of the help I've found online was for a Samsung T7 500GB. Any suggestions?

I purchased a Samsung SSD T7 2TB drive to replace the USB stick and my Tesla Y is not able to read it. The recording button/icon shows unavailable. I can format it from my Y, but still record button/icon is always unavailable. Most of the help I've found online was for a Samsung T7 500GB. Any suggestions?
I replaced the Tesla provided memory stick with a Samsung T7 SSD. The reason for that was two-fold:
1. Have more space for Dashcam and Sentry videos
2. Copy my collection of FLAC encoded music albums.

All formatting, creation of directories, and copying files was done on my desktop computer.

I would recommend searching the forum for the step-by-step instructions.

Last edited:
I use 1TB T7 on my MY7LR with no issues. I replied to one post here having same issue like yours not being able to use the 2TB.

I came accross this:

not sure if it has something to do with the "highspeed hardware interface" as the writer mentioned, but I'm pretty sure some of us here has 2TB working just fine. (I'm not a computer guy. I'm just reading someone's internet posting).

someone also mentioned to format it using your desktop PC and it might work.