Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"USB drive unavailable" message

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few days ago, when I started my 2020 M3LR, I got the following message, "Dashcam Unavailable Check USB. I reformatted the USB drive I had in the center console and still got the message. So, I ordered a new SanDisk 256gb USB drive. It arrived today and I inserted it into the slot in the console and formatted it. But still no luck. There is a red "x" over the dash cam icon and nothing is recording when I honk the horn. Any suggestions?

Same situation here: "Dashcam Unavailable Check USB". My USB stick is a robust Lexar 128GB high speed, which had been working well for a few months, recording dashcam videos until it stopped.
I've tried to reformat it at my Model 3 car, then took it and tried to format on my PC. No luck. I then tried to do partition and even removing protection by going through Windows Command Line/Diskpart. Nada.
It seems to me that the Tesla software actually "locked" access to my USB stick.
31FQOoLch6L._SX180_.jpg

Anyone had the same issue? is there a solution?

Since I originally posted this thread, I bought a new Sandisk USB drive with 256 gb of storage. I inserted it in the car and formatted it in the car. I got a message saying the formatting was successful but still can't record anything from the cameras. I've been pretty busy and this is a low priority for me, but I'm wondering if a soft reboot might solve the problem.

Few weeks back noticed had same red x on dash cam ignored it for few days figured it would work self out … tried reboot from steering wheel .. then tried reformat on Tesla menu screen … then tried erasing on Tesla screen .. none of that remedied it …then I started getting message dashcam unavailable.
So what worked for me was removing drive / reformatting on computer (MacBook exFAT) and creating teslacam folder
Has worked perfect ever since … why Tesla app in car cannot properly format my memory card beyond me 🤷🏽‍♂️
(Sandisk ultra micro sdxc 400gb)

Hello, I have been trying to follow this thread to help solve my issue with the Dashcam. I am having the same issue with my Dashcam.

I have a 2020 MYP with NO usb in the glovebox, a USB A & C in the center console under the wireless charge pad. I have plugged in a SanDisk 256GB USB 3.1 Flash Drive, 130 MB/s Read. The car recognizes and formats the drive on the UI. I see an exclamation on the UI that says, "Success!". But I am unable to actually use the Dashcam. I still have the little red dot/x in the corner of the Dashcam icon. When I select the icon I get a Yellow Splat under the image of the car on the left of the UI that says the USB Drive in unavailable The Car formats the USB with a root drive, Tesladrive.

I tried to format on my Mac (MS-DOS FAT), following the instructions from the manual, creating a root drive "TeslaCam". To no avail, when I plug the USB drive into the port, it does not recognize and asks to be reformatted. To which I comply and I am back on the hamster wheel.

Any Ideas?

Screen Shot 2023-05-11 at 4.34.55 PM.png

I had a similar issue for my M3 and tried multiple format methods with their factory USB and my own 500gb SSD. Nothing worked. Had to bring it in, the tech said the wiring in the glovebox was loose. I've had no issues for 2 weeks now.
Thank You, unfortunately my USB port is not in the glovebox. Unless there is wiring for the center console going through the glovebox?

I have a few small USB’s I am going to try first. If they don’t work, maybe it’s a wiring issue.

Thanks

I had the same issue right after 23.12.1.1 was installed on 4/26. And like others, I brought the drive in the house and plugged it into my computer, and it worked fine. Reinstalled it in the Tesla, still didn't recognize it, I even reformatted it in the Tesla, still no luck. I, too, tried other drives and rebooting the car itself. Then on 5/5, 23.12.5 was pushed to my Tesla and voilà, camera came back to life and recognized my USB drive.

Reactions: aaron4126
I’m having the same issue. It had stopped working and then the recent software update seemed to fix it. But then today it just stopped again. I’ve rebooted the car but no difference. I read that someone found it was an issue with the glovebox wiring. Maybe I will have a look at that when I get home from my trip.

I’m having the same issue. It had stopped working and then the recent software update seemed to fix it. But then today it just stopped again. I’ve rebooted the car but no difference. I read that someone found it was an issue with the glovebox wiring. Maybe I will have a look at that when I get home from my trip.

Yep...4 posts up. They replaced my glovebox to fix.

Few weeks back noticed had same red x on dash cam ignored it for few days figured it would work self out … tried reboot from steering wheel .. then tried reformat on Tesla menu screen … then tried erasing on Tesla screen .. none of that remedied it …then I started getting message dashcam unavailable.
So what worked for me was removing drive / reformatting on computer (MacBook exFAT) and creating teslacam folder
Has worked perfect ever since … why Tesla app in car cannot properly format my memory card beyond me 🤷🏽‍♂️
(Sandisk ultra micro sdxc 400gb)
Similar fix for me. I had my MYLR format the drive (Samsung T7), took it over to my MBP, added the teslacam folder, popped it back in the glove box, everyone happy!

Yep...4 posts up. They replaced my glovebox to fix.
Thanks. I ended up getting a Samsung solid state drive. It didn’t work at first either. Then all of a sudden it did. It has worked well since.

I went to the Calgary service center and told them that I wasn’t happy with the intermittent failure. They said they would set up a service request but that I should let them know when it happens again as they would be able to look at the car’s log and see the problem. Before I got home they set it up as a claim and it’s approved for replacement. Just have to drive 400 km to have it done.

Also had washer fluid cap replaced. It broke on the 4th opening. I figured it would be covered by warranty but nope. $24 and I can tell it’s gonna break again.

Reactions: BMWM3Man