Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to request for updated trunk seal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dropped my 2019 LR AWD in for due bill items, one of which was to fix an improperly installed trunk seal (it was not very straight). The service center ended up replacing the seal but did it with the older design. My car is now in for paint and other seal related issues and I asked to have them order the new design trunk seal, but the SC said there was only one part number and it was the one I already had. Has anyone had success in getting their trunk seal replaced with the new design, and if so how did you do it?

Here is the thread that shows both old and new:
Trunk weather seal gap

Had a very similar issue. My SC looked at it 2 times before getting it fixed.

We had a nasty gap too -- looked terrible.

I don't think they replaced the seal - but they did have to make some adjustments to be bumper fittings and did make adjustments to the seal.

Parts we've had to be ordered -- do take a little time to recieve.

You have to stay on the SC -- email them if you don't hear something within 3 days of you last contact with them, just asking for a quick update.

I dropped my 2019 LR AWD in for due bill items, one of which was to fix an improperly installed trunk seal (it was not very straight). The service center ended up replacing the seal but did it with the older design. My car is now in for paint and other seal related issues and I asked to have them order the new design trunk seal, but the SC said there was only one part number and it was the one I already had. Has anyone had success in getting their trunk seal replaced with the new design, and if so how did you do it?

Here is the thread that shows both old and new:
Trunk weather seal gap

Most likely your trunk seal was installed wrong with the rubber flap tucked under the bumper cover. You can ask the SC to pull it up and reseat it right, or you could do it yourself. It's has some gooey glue inside when you pull it up.

Most likely your trunk seal was installed wrong with the rubber flap tucked under the bumper cover. You can ask the SC to pull it up and reseat it right, or you could do it yourself. It's has some gooey glue inside when you pull it up.
I asked the mobile tech to check this for me a few weeks ago when he was here for other issues. I have a half inch gap on both sides of the trunk. He removed one side and there wasn’t any excess rubber flap that was tucked under the bumper cover. He also said that there’s not a “new” rubber seal. If I start getting water intrusion into the trunk I’ll explore my options at that point.

I had a very similar issue with my trunk seal. I scheduled an appointment with Tesla Mobile Service. They came out to my work and fixed the issue in a few minutes. The technician was able to repair it using basic tools in the field. He stated the seal was installed incorrectly at the time of assembly and had been pinched between the frame and bumper cover. He simply removed the seal by hand and then re-seated it on the frame. He also noted the frame had a bend which didn't allow the seal to sit as it should, so he bent the frame a little so the seal had a better fit. Overall, it's a very easy fix and can be done at your work or home in 15 mins.