Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk weather seal gap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just noticed there is a gap on the lower left corner of trunk between the weather seal and the bumper. The right corner is not as bad, just a small gap.

Do you have the same issue and did the service center fix it for you?

20181030_194027.jpg
20181030_194036.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: russelljohnson
Thanks for the info, I tried a search on the forum using related words and did not find a thread on this, could you link me to those threads?

Also, you said it's fine do you mean that water getting into that gap would not be an issue?

Just quoting what was said to me from the SC. They said the water would just drain out. I had a similar concern. Either way, not worth a repair attempt at this point.

Is my car the one with worst paint job and service center help?

Any issues that you missed during delivery that you found later?

Reactions: C141medic
Mine is a little bigger/wider on the driver side than yours. Reported to service along with other defects and they said mobile service will repair when the parts arrive... Not sure what that means for this reported concern though... Or if they will just gloss over it, guess we will see in a few (tesla) weeks when the parts are in.

Mine is a little bigger/wider on the driver side than yours. Reported to service along with other defects and they said mobile service will repair when the parts arrive... Not sure what that means for this reported concern though... Or if they will just gloss over it, guess we will see in a few (tesla) weeks when the parts are in.
When I asked the SC about it they said they’d have to take bumper off and realign it and couldn’t guarantee equal gaps on each side so I just left well enough alone. And all the other M3’s at the SC had similar gaps.

Is this issue fixed in new builds or do they continue to pump out cars with these gaps where they obviously shouldn't be? BTW, I would be kind of happy with OP's gaps... mine is a little worse and I have seen some even bigger for some reason.

I stopped by the service center today, they showed me 3 cars all have various state of trunk gap issue. The mechanic said it's normal and the water should drain out. Hopefully Tesla will improve their build quality as this is not normal for the price point of this car.

Tesla normal. :) Seriously though, I don't care all that much (still wish it wasn't ghetto like that) but when you go to show someone your nice new car and they point it out it's embarrassing and not good for the brand. They get all the hard stuff sooo right and its an excellent car, then goof up with the lipstick and mascara that people see.

Went to LA auto show today and noticed the demo Model 3 has a new trunk weather seal that seems to fix the gap issue and does a better job of keeping water out. Good to know that Tesla is addressing this issue. I might check with the SC to see if they can get that new seal installed.
20181201_163301.jpg
20181201_163317.jpg

20181201_163324.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Jedi2155 and Lon12
Went to the service center today to take care of a few issues and asked them to see if I can get the new trunk seal like I saw at the LA autoshow. The service adviser took one look and said the seal is installed wrong on my car, the rubber flap that's supposed to hide the bumper gap is tucked under the bumper. It took him less than 5 minutes to pull the trunk seal up and reseat it so that the proper rubber flap is above the bumper and hiding the gaps.

This issue exists on 99% of the Model 3s that I have seen, seems like when they manufacture the car the trunk seal was installed wrong. If you have the same gap in your trunk seal, you can bring it to your SC to have them reseat it or you can try to pull it up and DIY, a properly installed trunk seal should be like the red car I have shown above. I'm happy that this is a simple fix for the trunk seal gap eye sore.

20190308_091847.jpg