Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to Turn Off Factory Mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried to buy a 2014 Model S yesterday, but it's stuck in Factory Mode, and I and others at the dealership can't figure out how to turn off Factory Mode. We don't know how it got in Factory Mode, and the dealership is closed on Sundays, so I'm trying to see if I can figure out a solution while I wait for them to call Tesla on Monday.

Also there are a bunch of error codes under Service->Alerts. Can anyone direct me where I can understand these and how to deal with them?

As it's a 2014, it's not under Tesla warranty. The battery and drive train's warranty has expired or will within a week or so.

In theory it's a grea deal, but at the moment in Factory Mode the Model S is limited to 10mph or less. We tried a hard reboot, and a few other things, but all the videos online about Factory Mode show someone with a PC doing something with the Tesla and they opened panels on the dash and more. The car looks fine, but I don't know how to deal with the software issues (maybe more based on the errors).

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Attachments

• Factory Mode with Errors.jpg
    Factory Mode with Errors.jpg
    412.5 KB · Views: 531
Don't know if this will work, but try: Controls > Settings > Service and reset > Factory Reset > Erase and reset.
Thanks for trying to help, but that'll just reset the settings and such not turn off factory mode. The only thing I've found online are some YouTube videos about turning on Factory Mode via hacking.

The videos show the screen in developer mode, so I guess I first need to turn that on, but yesterday everything we tried didn't work.

Reactions: DerbyDave
Upvote 0
A thread on TMC and in a Russian YouTube video it mentions holding the T (at the top of the screen) to switch between Developer and Diagonistic modes. Last night, I tried holding down on the T at the top of the screen, but nothing useful happened.

I Googled the first error code and the only thing on Google that came up was this - IBST_d190_notProgVin about the VIN. I'm more confused.

The second error code via Google only turned up on forum in Russian.
Is there a list of these error codes translated to something understandable?

Upvote 0
IBST_d190_notProgVin
This alert is also known as IBST_522051. The VIN is not programmed.
This alert indicates a VIN learn should be performed for the iBooster. Early Model S iBooster equipped vehicles did not have this procedure performed, and later replacements may not have had this procedure performed. If this alert is present, perform the iBooster VIN learn procedure in Toolbox.

Reactions: Gtech and HTTP401
Upvote 0
Unfortunately, troubleshooting Factory Mode can be a very difficult process. Since the car is out of warranty, you will likely have to pay for any repairs or service needed in order to get it back into working condition. It sounds like you may need some specialized knowledge and tools in order to figure out what's going on with the error codes that appear under Service->Alerts; your best bet would be to take the vehicle to a Tesla certified repair shop or technician who has experience dealing with these type of issues. Additionally, since the videos online about Factory Mode involve taking apart parts of the dash and connecting a laptop, we don't recommend attempting any DIY fixes without guidance from an experienced Tesla technician due to potential safety risks associated with electrical components. We wish you the best of luck in getting your Model S out of Factory Mode and back to its former glory!

Reactions: Logan_H
Upvote 0
I wonder if going to controls -> software and then holding down for 3 seconds on the car model and entering “service” would change anything. Then do it again to take it out of service mode.
Thanks, but at least at the dealership it can't be put in service mode using these steps. It's speed is limited to 10mph or less.

I think @JosephAmato is correct. The price is great, but fixing the underlying issues to get it out of service mode isn't as easy and clicking some buttons. I don't even think a hard reboot by disconnecting the 12V battery (not the easiest thing) will help. Soft reboots didn't help.

I've attached a picture of the list that shows up under Service Alerts->Service Fix.

I'll have to keep looking for another great deal on a fully functional clean titled Tesla.

Attachments

• IMG_20230109_125928.jpg
    IMG_20230109_125928.jpg
    575.6 KB · Views: 419
Reactions: JosephAmato
Upvote 0
Hey
Thanks, but at least at the dealership it can't be put in service mode using these steps. It's speed is limited to 10mph or less.

I think @JosephAmato is correct. The price is great, but fixing the underlying issues to get it out of service mode isn't as easy and clicking some buttons. I don't even think a hard reboot by disconnecting the 12V battery (not the easiest thing) will help. Soft reboots didn't help.

I've attached a picture of the list that shows up under Service Alerts->Service Fix.

I'll have to keep looking for another great deal on a fully functional clean titled Tesla.
Hey Logan,
Are you manage to fix this issue?
If yes, please explain how.

Upvote 0