Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How will Model 3 improve?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been curious about the Model 3 for a while now. But, I'm just unable to pull the trigger. I currently drive an Outback, and I feel I should at least keep it for an year or more. The only reason I would want to buy a model 3 now vs an year or more from now is the $7500 tax credit.

That said, how would Model 3 improve going forward? (Sorry, I haven't followed how X or S improved over the years). Would the price come down after the tax credit expires or there is more competition, or things like dual motors will become standard at a lower price point?

My thinking is, if I'll get a better car at the same price a year or so down the line, I would as well wait..

Thanks!

cars will always get better, just like phones, TVs and pretty much every consumer product since we live in the silicon age. If you wait for a better one, you'll be waiting forever. If you buy one now, you get a $7500 credit and you can just trade it in whenever you want.

Reactions: Stirfelt
Cars always get better, but with Tesla they don't do the year after year thing like others. They make incremental changes whenever they are ready. Such as Model 3's seats got upgraded in May, that's like 5 months after the public started receiving Model 3's. So it's hard to say what exactly they'll do in a year.

You will not be getting a cheaper Model 3 at the current spec. You may be able to get the cheaper base model, but it'll come with much shorter range, and less options. If you want the $7500 tax credit you'll have to pull the trigger now, by Oct 15th for guaranteed end of the year delivery.

Reactions: Arpe and APotatoGod
I anticipate gradual changes.

Things like a heated steering wheel. You can get that in an Outback, but it's missing from the Model 3.

I'm sure they'll also have an option for a HUD. That would go really nicely with the 360 degree visualization (not to be confused with 360 view).

I imagine at some point they'll have sports seats available for the P version.

We also might see some cost reduction on things like paint.

I don't think giving up half or all of the tax credit in hopes of cost savings in a year + is a smart trade. $7500 in your pocket now, vs hoping the dual motor option becomes standard in a year or two? Pretty easy to pick that one.

The Model 3 will improve, but I would expect slow incremental improvements at this point ... especially for the next year or two as Tesla will be too busy filling orders to want to mess with the production line too much.

Life is short. Enjoy what you can while you can...finances allowing of course.

In terms of things that might become standard (in the premium package) that aren't currently offered right now? Maybe ventilated seats, heated steering wheel, power lift gate (doubt it, but one of my biggest complaints on an otherwise fine vehicle).

As for a price drop, doubt it. Between when we ordered our 3 and now, the price has gone up $700 (paint and the destination fee). The tax credit is a major incentive to buy now and enjoy.

One significant feature of Tesla is that from time to time they send updates to your car.

Since I purchased my X in 2017 I have recieved much improved autopilot, automatic headlight dimming, automatic windshield wipers, faster open/closing falcon wing doors, a mesh sunshade, and increased 0-60 performance from 6.1 to 4.9 seconds.

While the constantly are working to make their cars better, they also are often able to make their existing fleet also better.

Right now that $7,500 tax credit is a super incentive to order now.

Aftermarket has also release some cool upgrades that you can use to keep the car fresh.

I’d buy now for the full tax credit. Compared to when I placed my order in mid July (car delivered recently), the prices have actually increased (AWD, paint, destination fee, FSD), and 2 paint color options were lost. If they keep the trend up, prices will be even higher in the future.

I don’t foresee major updates worth waiting for. We know autopilot hardware 3 will be coming, but not necessarily for EAP. The keyfob will be available to everyone (I presume current owners will get one for free). While I’d love a HUD, I doubt they’d do that; or put blind spot indicators on the side mirrors like I want them to.

The main reason to wait would be so they are not so pressured to rush the cars out at the expense of build quality and the delivery process. My car had mild quality problems, including the paint and it’s still at the service center. My ordering and delivery experience was a mess, though not as bad as some of the horror stories I’ve read.

This may not be as clear cut as some are suggesting. The credit drops to $3750 through June of 2019 (assuming Congress does not extend or eliminate it). By Spring of 2019, you may see further improvements to the car, including version 3 of the AP hardware, better build quality, and perhaps even new standard features that we can only guess about (improved sound insulation would be at the top of my list).

You also should have an option to buy the base model. In theory, you’ll get 95% of the RWD Model 3 experience at about $14,000 less (saving $9000 for the smaller battery and $5000 if you omit the Premium upgrade package, PUP). So, if you don’t put a high value on the bigger battery and the PUP, your net saving should be something like $10,250 (= $14,000 - $3750 lost tax credit) plus sales tax avoided -- AND you may end up with an improved car. After June 30 through December 31, 2019, the net savings would drop to $8375 (= $14,000 - $5625 lost tax credit) plus sales tax avoided because the tax credit drops to $1875 through the end of 2019.

However, if you want the bigger battery and the PUP, you may want to go ahead and buy this year!

Tesla does NOT want to deal with AP2 gate again.

The person missing HUD by 28 days is going to write an open letter demanding those who took delivery within 30 days of change deserves an upgrade, exchange, buyback. They will be eternal fans of Tesla bla bla bla.

If not, they will walk away forever!

Another group is gonna come in and champion leasing instead. Those haven’t done the math that you can either lease 3 Tesla’s with no equity or own two outright with the same payment stream.

My belief is no substantial changes to Model 3 in 2019.

Prices could go down to on some options to make up for reduced credit but that would mean waiting for nothing.

Tesla has no incentives to create scenarios that upsets the apple cart. Fewer changes, fewer whining.

Tesla will do changes that lower their costs or simplify production. It won’t be geared to make new consumers happy.

FFS people were already whining about exchange their roof and rear windows to get a orange glow.

@Garlan Garner knows what’s up here.

Elon can talk tough all he wants but he has his match when 100,000 people whine at him.

He caved already in the P- debacle.

The best thing about Tesla is the software advantage they have on every car manufacturer out there. Free over the air updates iterate, improve, and add new features to a already incredible vehicle.

I love my M3 so the tax credit is just the cherry on top. Personally I wouldn't let that be the deciding factor. Do your research and make sure you know exactly what your committing to. Keep in mind that this car is very different from your current wheels.

Reactions: Stirfelt and MXWing
Tesla does NOT want to deal with AP2 gate again.

The person missing HUD by 28 days is going to write an open letter demanding those who took delivery within 30 days of change deserves an upgrade, exchange, buyback. They will be eternal fans of Tesla bla bla bla.

If not, they will walk away forever!

Another group is gonna come in and champion leasing instead. Those haven’t done the math that you can either lease 3 Tesla’s with no equity or own two outright with the same payment stream.

My belief is no substantial changes to Model 3 in 2019.

Prices could go down to on some options to make up for reduced credit but that would mean waiting for nothing.

Tesla has no incentives to create scenarios that upsets the apple cart. Fewer changes, fewer whining.

Tesla will do changes that lower their costs or simplify production. It won’t be geared to make new consumers happy.

FFS people were already whining about exchange their roof and rear windows to get a orange glow.

@Garlan Garner knows what’s up here.

Elon can talk tough all he wants but he has his match when 100,000 people whine at him.

He caved already in the P- debacle.

They're definitely going to add some features, it's guaranteed. Of course, they could handle those changes better by giving everyone information well in advance. Heck, I'm still waiting to know what's different on the P+

They're definitely going to add some features, it's guaranteed. Of course, they could handle those changes better by giving everyone information well in advance. Heck, I'm still waiting to know what's different on the P+

Broadcasting changes will kill current sales.

Who the hell would have bought an AP1 Model S/X if they knew AP2 was coming out in a year?

I myself pushed delivery from 7-31 to 8-2 this year? Why? I wanted to see if major changes were announced on the conference call to change my plans. Drop in AP3 was clear runway to proceed. No retrofit means I delay my order.

As far as P3+

For sure:
Track mode.

Speculative:
Ludicrous unlock.

Because P+ doesn’t buy you much people pat themselves on the back for not getting it.

When P+ gives you something like track mode. P- people get pissed.

Fun to be Elon.

One significant feature of Tesla is that from time to time they send updates to your car.

Since I purchased my X in 2017 I have recieved much improved . . .
By contrast other brands tend to see features vanish over time. I've noticed a major downgrade in the traffic maps on my BMW X-3 in the past few months. I think right as it hit the 2 year point, some contract must have expired...

My old VW Jetta, the satellite radio just turned off one day about 2 years in, and the cost to get an account started at some massive package price. There IS a similar thing with the Tesla M3, some of the radio services will start costing $100/year a year in. Which is LESS THAN HALF what Sirius wanted from me for my VW (I never could figure out why they wanted so much more than what they'd charge if I just got a regular Sirius account or even put in an after-market stereo... when they told me their price I just crossed them off my list and never looked back).

So...

A car that upgrades over time... vs any other car where the stuff it came with starts to look pretty dated as the years roll by. Granted even the M3 you buy today will look dated 'hardware wise' 5 years from now... but it will likely still get a software upgrade unless the short-sellers have their way and Tesla gets sold to Ford or a Chinese company or something...

But try getting them update software on any other car. My brother loves his old Landrover, but he's bolted a Garmin Sat-Nav onto the dash covering over the built in Nav for a reason... (and then puts hit iPhone over that when actually driving... o_O ). Sure he can buy upgrade CD's every so often for the navigation, but the look and feel still reminds me of an 8-bit video game.

BUY NOW!!!!
You will never look back!
Once you drive a Tesla Model 3 (our other is a 2017 X HW1) for a week, you will NEVER look back. It makes driving fun again. No other car like it. Mine is a P-.
V9 loaded overnight- can’t wait to try the new features. This just does NOT happen anywhere else!