Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How's the ride of the Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some have found the ride of the M3 a bit harsh or stiff. How is the ride on the Y? Is it smoother/softer than the 3? If anyone has any experience with an S, X or 3, perhaps you can make some meaningful comparisons.

I believe it has a wider wheelbase. I'd think that alone would affect the ride.

Both the Model 3 and Y share the same 113.8 in wheelbase. Elon confirmed that they share ~75% of the same parts. Commenters are correct when they describe the Model Y as an evolution of the Model 3.

The ride will be very similar as a result.

Both the Model 3 and Y share the same 113.8 in wheelbase. Elon confirmed that they share ~75% of the same parts. Commenters are correct when they describe the Model Y as an evolution of the Model 3.

The ride will be very similar as a result.
Technically, this is incorrect. The Y has a 0.6” longer wheelbase and a 2.2” wider track. The suspension geometry changed slightly but I would still expect the ride to be similar, though not the same, as the 3.

• Informative
Reactions: Ken7
Technically, this is incorrect. The Y has a 0.6” longer wheelbase and a 2.2” wider track. The suspension geometry changed slightly but I would still expect the ride to be similar, though not the same, as the 3.

Yes, I see now that I was incorrect regarding the wheelbase measurement (unfortunately, it won’t let me edit the post to correct it at this point - Model 3 at 138.2 vs Model Y at 138.8). My apologies to Ken7.

Reactions: Ken7
There is also a 400lb weight difference between the two comparable trims (LR AWD) and even greater when talking SR and RWD with ~800lb difference, and generally the higher ride height would indicate different suspension, not sure if rebound/compression rates would have the same specs between the two.

This might be a reach, but considering they also added the "Off-road mode" means they may have taken suspension into more consideration rather than just ctr-c/v it. I get they talked more about torque and slip with that mode, but I don't think its too far-fetched to hope they made more changes.