Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should HW4 be better than HW3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have my TMY LR serviced recently and the service center gave me a loaner TMY LR, similar but older, like 3-4 years older with 8K+ mileage.

Compared to my 2023.11 TMY, I can see some subtle physical differences, though most of parts are pretty much the same. However, to my surprise, this older Model Y drives much smoother than my current new Model Y. Especially the FSD functions, that's what I am kind of puzzled. I can feel the difference clearly, it has better maneuver, makes less error, better judgement and smooth ride. I have checked that it has exactly the same(latest) FSD version. Then the only difference I can think of is the hardware. This old one definitely has HW3 while my TMY has HW4.

I thought HW4 should be an upgrade over HW3...or because the software doesn't take advantage of HW4 and still optimized for HW3? Or anything else?

I have my TMY LR serviced recently and the service center gave me a loaner TMY LR, similar but older, like 3-4 years older with 8K+ mileage.

Compared to my 2023.11 TMY, I can see some subtle physical differences, though most of parts are pretty much the same. However, to my surprise, this older Model Y drives much smoother than my current new Model Y. Especially the FSD functions, that's what I am kind of puzzled. I can feel the difference clearly, it has better maneuver, makes less error, better judgement and smooth ride. I have checked that it has exactly the same(latest) FSD version. Then the only difference I can think of is the hardware. This old one definitely has HW3 while my TMY has HW4.

I thought HW4 should be an upgrade over HW3...or because the software doesn't take advantage of HW4 and still optimized for HW3? Or anything else?
It's a physical upgrade, but its own software needs to catch up with older hardware's capability.