Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC Amp Downgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My HPWC that has been installed for 2 years will only charge at 60 amps now, vs the 72 until recently. It is on a 100 amp line and breaker with the 80 amp internal setting. When not connected, the car will allow a 72 amp setting as it has the optional 72 amp charger. Failing HPWC?

I'd also check for hot spots near the connectors or the HPWC itself, or check the voltage measurement on the car's charging screen. It could be that a connection has loosened enough to drop the voltage and cause the car to automatically dial down the charge current.

Closing the loop on this. Special ordered 2 AWG ferrules(no one stocks these around here) and opened the HPWC to check the connections. Found evidence of arcing which must have been the cause of the problem. Although the instructions specify 2 AWG wire for a 100 amp service, the receptacles weren't large enough for that size. I jammed them in as best I could but over time it came undone. The ferrules just made the problem worse, so I clipped one strand of the wire and crimped the ferrule over the wire to make things small enough to fit in the receptacle. Problem solved and full 72 amps now charging.