Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

main panel has 30 amp to garage panel, what are the options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Faster charging is nice when it's needed @hybrid>EV, but really it would be trivial to go the 20 amp route. Much less expensive and probably still sufficient for your driving needs. In cold climates, slower charging can't always cut it.

You could go the 20 amp route for very little cost and see how it works out for you, then upgrade to 40 or 48 amps later if you feel the need.
Agree, I used a 20 amp with the Tesla mobile connector on my Model S for 2 years without any issues. I only upgraded to a 50 amp circuit with the wall connector when I added a Model Y and 3 to the group.
A 20 amp circuit is more than enough for most, especially if you only have 1 EV.

OK, so you guys are talking about just adding a 20 amp breaker in the sub panel and either a NEMA 6-20 outlet or hardware 20 amp circuit to charger nearby?
Yes only 1 EV and 14 miles / hour does sound more than adequate.
Actually, we are suggesting a 30A breaker in the subpanel. Then hardwire the Wall Connector, set it for a 30A circuit. It will then deliver 24A to charge your car. If you think that’s too much (I think you’ll be fine unless you have a refrigerator or something off you subpanel circuits), you can then dial down the amperage in your vehicle or app to only draw 20A, all at 240V.

If you put in a 20A breaker, then you’d only be able to charge at 16A/240V.

You could go the receptacle route with the Mobile Connector but I never recommend it. It requires a GFCI breaker which is expensive, so your cost savings over a Wall Connector is smaller than you’d think and the Wall Connector is way more robust. Also the only 30A receptacle that the Mobile Connector supports that you can install is a NEMA 14-30 which requires installing an extra wire which slightly adds to the expense as well. A Wall Connector only needs two conductors plus ground, the 14-30 needs three conductors plus ground.

Reactions: father_of_6
The main panel is labeled 200 amp. This is the from main panel, which is at least 50 ft from garage sub panel & circuit is not easily accessible. Here is a pic from the main house panel. Does this mean I have 2x 30 amp and a total of 60 amp to garage?
Can you describe what you mean by not easily accessible? Do you know what size conduit is running underground?
I also see this for the dryer on the main panel, and I know the dryer plugs into a NEMA 14-30 outlet in laundry. However, for both the dryer and garage breakers, there looks like 2 breakers tied together. In both cases, one of the two has a label. Does that mean there is untapped capacity on these circuits?
Any chance your laundry is in the garage?

However, for both the dryer and garage breakers, there looks like 2 breakers tied together. In both cases, one of the two has a label. Does that mean there is untapped capacity on these circuits?
Each breaker and its wire provides 30 Amps at 120 Volts. Regular wall outlets use only one wire (hot) from a breaker and a white (neutral) wire for 120 Volts. Connecting the load - dryer or wall connector - across both hots provides 240 Volts at 30 Amps.

4 AWG copper wire at a minimum, no aluminum, make sure the electrician does this, no GFI breaker necessary as the WC has it built in
read the WC install guide and make sure the electrician follows it to the note, such as torquing the screws down to the req lbs
It is perfectly safe and legal to run aluminum to a subpanel. Most homes have aluminum main feeders and subpanel feeders. Aluminum from a subpanel to a wall connector is a no-no; the WC's terminals are not rated for aluminum.

20A @ 240v is going to give you 15 MPH charge rate on a MY. That's 150 miles of charge during a 10 hour overnight charge. Unless your daily commute is way over 100 miles each day, that's a very good charge rate.

Since it will presumably be quite inexpensive to add a 2 pole 20A breaker in your garage, I would just try that to start with. Probably a complete waste of money to go to all the added extra expense to upgrade your wiring out to the garage. I did this at our house for over a year and it was way more than I actually needed.

Keep in mind that the ability to add 150 miles every night ratchets you up to the 250 mile 8O% charge easily in 2 nights. So even if you go over 150 miles on a particular day, you are back up to an 80% full tank in 2 nights. I believe there is almost no chance you have a use case where you need more than that 15 MPH charge rate.

Ultimately it comes down to
1) How many miles is your daily commute?
2) How many hours is your car at home (charging) each day?

And don't forget, weekends can get you fully recharged ...
With a 30A circuit, it's closer to 20mph, even if limiting the charge rate to 20A like I do. Another factor: how close is the nearest supercharger if you need a quick top off? @hybrid>EV lives in CA, theres a good chance there's a SC a stone's throw away.

Actually, we are suggesting a 30A breaker in the subpanel. Then hardwire the Wall Connector, set it for a 30A circuit. It will then deliver 24A to charge your car.
Wall Connector is way more robust.

I did find a 25 amp breaker at lowes.com before posting. @Cosmacelf gets my vote though. 30 amp breaker and a Tesla High Powered wall connector.

Another vote for try to live with it at 16A (on board charger modules run in 16A chunks), 20A, or 24A depending on your wiring and other loads in the garage. We've done that for a year/ 11k mi and it's been just fine. Very rarely do we even charge over night, it's usually just ~3 hours in the middle of the day when the solar is up and going. Night time charging really only happens when we have a long trip the next day.

Set that amps limit on your EVSE (aka "wall connector" in Tesla-speak), don't rely on the car or "location based charging" to pull less than what the EVSE is set to. If an update screws up your settings, you have a guest over, or GPS is having a bad day, the car could try to pull too much. Setting the EVSE amps limits covers you better.

Last edited:
I did find a 25 amp breaker at lowes.com before posting. @Cosmacelf gets my vote though. 30 amp breaker and a Tesla High Powered wall connector.
I found a Siemens 25A a while ago on Amazon. The second-generation WC does have a 25A circuit/20A charge setting. Too bad the third gen doesn't. The third gen has fewer options, which is a bit silly, since it's all software controlled in the app vs the 16-position physical switch in the second gen.

• Informative
OK, so you guys are talking about just adding a 20 amp breaker in the sub panel and either a NEMA 6-20 outlet or hardware 20 amp circuit to charger nearby?
Yes.
Actually, we are suggesting a 30A breaker in the subpanel.
No, that's not what "we" are suggesting. That is what you are suggesting.

Putting it on a 30A circuit consumes the entire 30A supply to the garage completely! That leaves no room at all to run anything from those other two 15A circuits while the car is charging. I just wouldn't oversubscribe a subpanel like that. The 20A circuit route sounds better to me, with plenty of margin and still good usefulness.

Reactions: posity
Yes.

No, that's not what "we" are suggesting. That is what you are suggesting.

Putting it on a 30A circuit consumes the entire 30A supply to the garage completely! That leaves no room at all to run anything from those other two 15A circuits while the car is charging. I just wouldn't oversubscribe a subpanel like that. The 20A circuit route sounds better to me, with plenty of margin and still good usefulness.
I'm also inclined to stick with the 20a circuit. That leaves plenty for each of the 120v circuits. I think it likely that the 30a circuit could work, but I don't think it's worth the risk of popping a breaker.

Reactions: posity and Rocky_H
No, it doesn’t. There is still 12A at 120V headroom even when the car is charging. If all you have is a garage door opener, lights and some utility receptacles, then that’ll work just fine. And if you charge starting at midnight like most people do, then you’ll have tons of headroom.

I know you know that breaker panels are always “oversubscribed”, so your statements were made in a bit of haste I suspect. Your first sentence is simply factually incorrect.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
I'm very late to this party, but I note that nobody has been invoking the NEC to help the OP to understand what's going on. So, @hybrid>EV, this is for you!

First: What the Heck Is Split Phase?

Coming on down from the power pole, you got these three wires. One is Neutral; One is Hot #1, and the voltage between it and Neutral is 120 VAC. The last one is also a Hot, let's call it Hot #2. The voltage between it and Neutral is also 120 VAC. But, if you had an oscilloscope and was looking at the sine waves coming down on Hots #1 and #2, while Hot #1 is going up, Hot #2 is going down, and vice versa. The voltage between Hot #1 and Hot #2 is 240 VAC.

When these wires come into the house (ignoring the meter), Hot #1 goes to a bus bar in your breaker panel; Hot #2 goes to a second bus bar in your breaker panel; and Neutral gets connected to a ground/Neutral bus bar in the breaker panel. (The ground/neutral bus bar also goes to a Big Thick Green Wire that goes back outside the house, down to where the ground (as in, dirt) is located, and there's a 6-foot copper bar, pounded into the Earth, and the green wire gets bolted to that. They don't call the Ground wire a ground wire for nothing...)

Going back to the breaker panel: Each slot on the breaker panel is a place where a breaker can be clipped in. The top slot goes to Bus/Hot #1; the next slot down goes to Bus/Hot #2, then back to Bus/Hot #1 again, all the way down.

If one wants a 120 VAC circuit, then one clips in a (typically) 15A or 20A single-width breaker into one of the slots. A (typically black) wire is inserted into a hole in said breaker and clamped down; then, a wire from the neutral/ground bus bar (white colored) is bolted onto the ground/neutral bus bar, and the two of those go off to power lights/120 VAC circuits/what-have-you. For extra credit, a green wire is also attached to the ground/neutral bus bar (on the main breaker) and off it goes, too. The black wire goes to the narrow slot on a 120 VAC plug; the white one to the wide slot; and the green, safety ground goes to the ground pin.

If one wants a 240 VAC circuit, then a double-wide, physically ganged, duplex breaker is plugged into two adjacent slots, thus picking up both Hot #1 and Hot #2. Each breaker has a wire coming off; the voltage between those two wires is 240 VAC. At a minimum a ground wire is paired with the two hots; often, there'll be four wires: The two hots, a neutral, and a ground. (See: NEMA14-50).

For your future edification, there's a large number of sockets, all at different current ratings and different number of wires. See this link for nifty pictures.

Now, for the Safety Business. People have been dancing around about this on this thread, suggesting different things, but I want to give you the official, save-your-life-and-that-of-your-loved-ones line. And I am NOT kidding about any of what follows.

Wires are made out of copper, or, sometimes, aluminum. These are metals. These metals have resistance. When one runs current through them, they heat up. Power dissipation in a length of wire of resistance R goes as current*current*Resistance. A thicker wire has less resistance; a thinner wire has more. As an example, run a vacuum cleaner in your house for a bit, then grab the power cord. That cord will be warm, and that's no accident.

Everything about current ratings in the breakers, the wires, the sockets, the plugs, is about controlling that heat so that none of the following happens:
  • The wire heats up to the point of catching stuff on fire
  • The wire heats up to the point of degrading the insulation around that wire. If that insulation gets degraded, it can break down, causing a short and thus causing a fire.
  • The breakers get heated up unduly. The breakers are there for save-your-blinking-life purposes, i.e., shorts. Ideally, they should never trip unless it's a save-the-day situation. Why? Because making them trip, unnecessarily, wears them out. If one has a worn-out breaker then, if one is lucky, it gets stuck open. If one is not lucky, it gets stuck closed, in which case one's safety device is dead, dead, dead. And, as a result, in the dead of night, you get to be dead, dead, dead. Nuisance trips, as some above have mentioned, aren't just an annoyance. You might think it's worth the risk; but do you want to risk your loved ones?
People with more letters after their names than I've got have done Serious Studies about heat dissipation. Heat, when generated in a socket or wire, has to go somewhere. So, Home Depot wire that gets placed into a wall has not just the heat conductivity of the insulation itself taken into account: It's also the heat conductivity of the insulation in the walls, the 2x4's in there, and what the ambient temperature outside is as well. No joke, test houses are built with thermocouples all over when the standards are figured out.

Towards this end, the National Electric Code (motto: Every rule on every page has a burnt-down house associated with it) has Rules. You violate those at risk of your life; electricians who violate them can lose their licenses or be criminally charged. If caught.

Here's the rules, so you know them:
  • On a given circuit, with a breaker sized to amperage "A", the wire must be rated to that current and the socket, if any, must also be rated to that current. Hence, if one wants to use a NEMA14-20 (20A, 240 VAC) socket, then the wire has to be rated for that current and so must the breaker. No putting a 30A breaker on 20A wire/socket, or a 15A breaker on a 20A wire/socket. Period.
  • When one has a continuous, heavy load, then the maximum current one can have on a circuit is 80% of the circuit rating. So: If one has a 120 VAC 15A circuit, with a NEMA5-15 socket, the maximum current is 80% of 15A, or 12A when one is charging a Tesla.
Again, just to be clear on this: Just because one has a 20A breaker, one does not run 20A, steady, on that breaker. First, that 20A is the nominal point where the breaker will trip, which leads to nuisance trips. See above about Why Not. Second, that 80% derating is all about continuous heat flow. One really doesn't want to degrade the insulation in a house. A pulse of heat when, say, starting up a motor, is OK - but not continuous.

So, back to the fun. You've got a sub-panel in your garage with a 240VAC 30A circuit to it and a couple of 15A, 120VAC breakers in it, going to (probably) a $RANDOM outlet in the garage as well as your garage door openers. I take a wild guess: The general rule is that one when one has an appliance (stove, refrigerator, microwave, garbage disposal) each appliance gets its own circuit. You probably have one 115V socket; so, you probably have three (3) 15A 120VAC breakers in your sub-panel.

Now, this is where life gets a bit interesting. If one counts on one's fingers, three x 15 = 45, so, why isn't the circuit to the panel a 45A or 50A circuit?

Answer: The Official Assumption that not everything is on at the same time. And it is Official. The name for this rule is called, "National Electric Code Load Analysis". If you go to your Main Breaker Panel and add up all the breaker values you see, you'll note that the sum of all of those is a lot more than the main breaker going to the outside wires. It's perfectly legit; the Load Analysis was done when they built your house, otherwise it wouldn't have gotten its electrical inspection certificate and certificate of occupancy.

And this is the reason that, before adding any breakers to your sub-panel, the electrician should look at said sub-panel, do a load analysis, and see how much spare amperage can be plugged into the panel. If it's 20A, then you can put in duplex, ganged, 20A 240 VAC breaker, wired to 20A-capable wire, and from their either to a hard-wired Wall Connector (or similar from some non-Tesla company) or something like a NEMA14-20. I rather doubt you'll get 30A when the sub-panel is 30A itself.

If the load analysis says 10A.. or 0A, then you're going to need a bigger circuit from the main panel. You have been warned. And, by the by: DON'T PLAY GAMES WITH THIS. I wasn't kidding when I said the NEC has a house-burnt-down-per-page deal on the Rules. Don't you be the owner of that house.

Now, finally: That bit about "80% of the circuit rating". Say, for this example, you actually do have a spare 20A @ 240 VAC available. Say you're using a Tesla Mobile Connector with a NEMA14-20 adapter and the electrician has installed a NEMA14-20 socket, wire to match, and a 20A breaker. You plug everything in, turn on the charging, and take a look-see at the screen in the car to see how it's doing.

You're not going to see 20A. You'll see 80% of that, 16A, and the actual power into your car will be 240VAC * 16A = 3840W. (A TMC knows perfectly well what adapter it's got plugged into it; between its communications with the car, and the car, the appropriate 80% factor gets factored in right off.)

With a standard Model Y that gets 280 W-hr/mile, that'll be a charge rate of 3840W/(280 W-hr/mile) = 13.7 miles of charge per hour. Say you've parked the car and gone to bed and it's been doing that for, say, 10 hours: You'll have 137 miles of additional charge on the car.

If you use a hardwired Tesla Wall Connector (or similar), a commissioning step is to tell the TWC what amperage circuit it's plugged into. Again, it and the car communicate and set the current to the safe value.

Say you want to charge at the maximum rate possible, 48A for a LR or P Model Y. What size circuit would you need? (48A/0.8) = 60A circuit. Yep, out in my garage, I've got a duplex 60A 240 VAC breaker on a 200A panel, going to a TWC, and both the M3 and MY out there charge at 48A, which works out to be 45 or 46 miles of charge per hour.

Final note: I am very definitely not an electrician, but I truly am an electronics engineer and have designed fuses and breakers into all sorts of weird equipment. Admittedly mostly not AC-powered equipment, but, still. I also have a seriously healthy respect for Standards and don't believe in taking short cuts when it comes to stuff that can light a house on fire.

Last edited:
Reactions: fhteagle
Your first sentence is simply factually incorrect.
Explain. If the car is drawing 24A continuous load, with the required 125% oversize of the circuit, that is the entire capacity of the 240V 30A feeder supply to that subpanel.
There is still 12A at 120V headroom even when the car is charging.
Where would that come from?

I know you know that breaker panels are always “oversubscribed”, so your statements were made in a bit of haste I suspect.
It was certainly not in haste. It was very specific. I know very well that panels can be oversubscribed with PARTIAL use loads. But if you are drawing a continuous 24A, there is not any capacity leftover for anything else from a 30A supply circuit.

Explain. If the car is drawing 24A continuous load, with the required 125% oversize of the circuit, that is the entire capacity of the 240V 30A feeder supply to that subpanel.

Where would that come from?
With a 30A circuit, the car draws 24A (or 20A if you dial it down in the car). So there is 6A (30-24) at 240V available on the feeder circuit from the main panel. Which is 12A at 120V.

But you are correct, I’m ignoring the continuous load rule. So yeah, by code, 20A breaker, 16A/240V max. Charge rate.