Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC Inside Garage to (also) Charge Car in the Driveway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am posting this in the General Tesla thread because it would apply equally to S, X and Model 3.

In planning for the eventual arrival of my Model 3, I am thinking about home charging solutions. I am definitely planning on getting the HPWC, but here in Toronto, I like the idea of having it installed inside my garage so that I can park indoors in the winter and easily charge.
In the other seasons, I typically have bikes, etc taking up residence in the garage and almost always park in the driveway.
A while back I saw a thread with some different "solutions" for running the charging wire under the garage door for those situations where the HPWC is inside, but the car is charging outside.
I guess part of my question is, would it be "better" to have the unit outside the garage, and for the winter months when the car is indoors, bring the cable under the garage door - or keep the unit inside the garage, and do the opposite for summer months when the car is in the driveway?
Any thoughts / pictures on how people deal with this? Any issue with running the charging cable under the garage door?
TIA (thanx in advance)

I'd suggest putting the charger in the garage, and running the cable out in the summer. I'd rather have a garage ventilated in summer than exposed to winter temps. If you locate it properly, you wont' have a problem reaching out onto the driveway. My charger is set up that way, and the few times that I've needed to park on the driveway I've had no issues running the cord under the door. For me that is a temporary situation as I park in the garage 99.9% of the time, so I disconnected the overhead opener (so the door wouldn't auto-reverse when it sensed an obstacle while closing) and put a 2x4 block under the door so the door wasn't resting on the cable.