Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge at Work at Home?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Gwgan

Almost a wagon
Aug 11, 2013
Maine
Home charging is effectively free since I have net metering. I’d like to set the electricity rate to zero for home charging but Home uses the custom TOU rate plan. Without deleting the Home location, if I set my garage location to Work will it use the Work rate?

In my case the address shown in the app under Location is a nearby address. In the car, Home is set to the official address. GPS puts the red arrowhead just outside my garage on the map

Reactions: aesculus
Home charging is effectively free since I have net metering. I’d like to set the electricity rate to zero for home charging but Home uses the custom TOU rate plan. Without deleting the Home location, if I set my garage location to Work will it use the Work rate?

In my case the address shown in the app under Location is a nearby address. In the car, Home is set to the official address. GPS puts the red arrowhead just outside my garage on the map
That's an interesting idea. I think you will find that you are the first to think of it. Looking forward to your experiments results.

The Powerwall and home car charging use the same TOU rate setup, which is not flexible enough IMO
1707602574655.png

So far, setting Work by using my official address, the app’s idea of my address (the lot next door), or the location of the red arrow in my garage did not cause charging to be attributed to Work until I cleared the Home address from all profiles in the car and set the Home location in the app at the end of the driveway ~500 feet away from the charger.

I’d read that the car needs to navigate to new Home and Work addresses for charging location to be recognized but while I did have the chance to change these settings and then navigate to the new Work address, aka My Garage, I did not do the control arm.

• Informative
Hmm. Got Net Metering at home, too. In NJ, there's this running total from month to month that's added to when one generates more than one uses, and subtracted from when one uses more than one generates. It gets reset in April of every year (any surplus gets delivered to the account at wholesale rates).

Issue is that if the running balance goes negative, then one has to pay up at retail. And the overall solar panel system was designed, in the first place, to generate as much as one was using in year previous to getting the solar panel system in the first place. And that was pre-Tesla. Admittedly, putting in LED lighting over time has helped; having the kids out and on their own helped more; but, as a result, in the fall/winter we end up paying a bit.

So, trying to figure out what the "average" cost of charging at home over a year gets a little complicated. More sun one year than another? More local driving one year than another? Zero cost on the app is a first-order approximation.

I think I need a spreadsheet :oops:.

If you are going the spreadsheet route then taking the kWh charged by the car from the PW Energy screen and plugging in your real rate for electricity when there is one would get you closest to knowing what is actually spent.

I just wish the app were flexible enough to allow for Net Metering by simply separating the home vehicle charging rate from the home utility rate plan. Conflating the two was a bad idea, IMO. It wasn’t always this way.