Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Garage / No driveway.... Charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For what it's worth, when I moved into my house 11 years ago I needed to put in power in the back yard for a large hot tub. 60 amp circuit running over 3 thick, separate wires through conduit to a breaker box mounted on a wall in the yard. I had it done by a non-electrician for cheap, but when I got the hot tub ready to install I discovered the guy had run the wrong cable (Romex). I went to Home Depot and bought the proper wire ($350) and had him run it through the conduit to the breaker. I'm pretty sure lots and lots of hot tubs are installed in a similar way, so that may be one way to find an electrician or get an idea on costs. At the least you might be able to start with just a 14-50 outlet to start, and retrofit on a Tesla wall charger later. Use the mobile charger in the meantime. I also wonder if there isn't already some law on the books restricting HOA's from basically forcing residents to use ICE cars by attempting to ban charging infrastructure.

Reactions: easyev
The purpose of this post was to see if someone here was in similar situation and share their experiences, and whether they were successful (or not), and how. And the cost. I am sure if they did, I could learn something that could help me.

Yeah, I kind of got that was the goal from the post. I was trying to remember if there were any threads I recalled seeing on the topic. Most of the discussion threads I remember on this general topic are more around people trying to get an apartment complex / condo unit to pay for putting in charging, and / or "I checked into this and it was a fortune so I didnt do it", or some such like that.

I dont remember any other threads with pedestal style installs into an open parking space in a condo / townhouse type complex, with details. Perhaps there is one but I cant remember it, and didnt see it through cursory looking around here.

Reactions: thyname
I am sure there are other people in my situation who have or are considering buying EVs: no single family home, no private garage, no private driveway. Basically apartment or condo living multifamily housing. In my case, townhouse with community parking lot (assigned / numberd / reserving parking spaces), with the parking lot separated by the actual townhouses by community / shared front yards.

What is the solution for charging? I understand the association installing community / shared chargin station, but that is not happening with mine. So I was talking about private & individual charging station in own numbered parking space.

I have seen some solution in the internet (see pictures), but never one in person. I imagine it will cost a lot of money, but, has anyone here done something similar? If so, can you share your experiences?

View attachment 984892

View attachment 984893View attachment 984894View attachment 984895View attachment 984896View attachment 984897View attachment 984898
I helped a family member by a model X plaid. No driveway no garage no parking pad. I advised it against it and suggested she buy a five-year-old model 3 and not worry about her beautiful plaid sitting out on the street especially in the winter. she disagreed and bought her dream car, a loaded Model X Plaid.

Anyways, back to the charging. The wall connecter is mounted on the front of the house and the cord doesn’t quite reach her car on the street. She bought an extension cable that a member here recommended ( will need to thank him again for that) and now she happily charges it on the street. I hope you can do something similar, and thanks for having an open mind and not shooting this down like most people do, anything is possible, even a regular heavy duty extension cord, which would do 6 km/h of charge and a cord protector to go over the sidewalk. Sorry for not including a shot showing the house but if I grab it, I will add that later.

IMG_8488.jpeg

Last edited:
I helped a family member by a model X plaid. No driveway no garage no parking pad. I advised it against it and suggested she buy a five-year-old model 3 and not worry about her beautiful plaid sitting out on the street especially in the winter. she disagreed and bought her dream car, a loaded Model X Plaid.

Anyways, back to the charging. The wall connecter is mounted on the front of the house and the cord doesn’t quite reach her car on the street. She bought an extension cable that a member here recommended ( will need to thank him again for that) and now she happily charges it on the street. I hope you can do something similar, and thanks for having an open mind and not shooting this down like most people do, anything is possible, even a regular heavy duty extension cord, which would do 6 km/h of charge and a cord protector to go over the sidewalk. Sorry for not including a shot showing the house but if I grab it, I will add that later.

View attachment 986252

Thanks for chiming in!

From what I can tell, the charging cable needs to cross the sidewalk to reach her car. Right? If so, and assuming the sidewalk is public, how is that allowed and no neighbors complaining?

Thanks for chiming in!

From what I can tell, the charging cable needs to cross the sidewalk to reach her car. Right? If so, and assuming the sidewalk is public, how is that allowed and no neighbors complaining?
Oh yes, you are correct. And this block is full of whiners, believe me! It’s the only Tesla on the block, and it happens to be a model X plaid. Do you think that generates any controversy?! She had to turn off sentry mode, too much fanfare with the lights going off, screen warnings, etc. 😃

You’ve gotta do what you’ve gotta do right? If the city won’t approve a parking pad and curb cutting for a driveway, what choice does she have? But I hear you in the whole tripping hazard all of that business.

Is that cord across the Sidewalk a liability risk?

You know it is, I know you do.

ou’ve gotta do what you’ve gotta do right? If the city won’t approve a parking pad and curb cutting for a driveway, what choice does she have? But I hear you in the whole tripping hazard all of that business.

The minute someone complains to the city about it, or "trips" (accidentally or "accidentally on purpose", and decides to sue her for having the cable / tripping hazard there on public property, your family member may regret this.

If it was someone elses house she was charging at, only there infrequently, etc, people might tend to look the other way, but for a permanent thing? Someone is going to complain, especially given what you said about the neighborhood, and crossing public property (or shared property in a condo) like this is not allowed, so if someone does complain she wont have any choice but to remove it / not do it.

• Informative
let’s say the charger install costs 10K, can the OP get a tax credit on the installation? And how much would that be?
Install might require more then one trade, concrete guy to cut concrete and replace, electrician to run conduit to main service panel and materials.
Would add value to said property to right buyer.

It will be in a numbered area (my reserved parking spot). In front of my townhouse. Yes, I believe one can limit the charging to only specific vehicles by VIN.
Did you ever do anything?

As I understand, your parking place is directly in front of your unit? If so, and your unit has its own electric service and meter, it should not be insurmountable to run a circuit from your electric panel to a pedestal mounted Tesla Wall Connector at your dedicated parking place.

The only thing the HOA should be concerned with is allowing the pedestal to be installed. They won't be concerned with paying for the installation, electricity usage, etc.

Even if you have a limited amount of surplus capacity such as only a 100 amp service, 240 volt charging at with a 15, 20 or 30 amp circuit (12, 16 or 24 amp 240 volt charging) is night and day better than charging at 120 volts.

Good luck!

Last edited:

As I understand, your parking place is directly in front of your unit? If so, and your unit has its own electric service and meter, it should not be insurmountable to run a circuit from your electric panel to a pedestal mounted Tesla Wall Connector at your dedicated parking place.

The only thing the HOA should be concerned with is allowing the pedestal to be installed. They won't be concerned with paying for the installation, electricity usage, etc.

Even if you have a limited amount of surplus capacity such as only a 100 amp service, 240 volt charging at with a 15, 20 or 30 amp circuit (12, 16 or 24 amp 240 volt charging) is night and day better than charging at 120 volts.

Good luck!
User is banned. Doubt you’ll get a reply

Good luck!
I have not done anything. Decided to wait for now. Two reasons:

1) Huge demands from association for paperwork and other legal documents, permits, and such

2) Too expensive. Best price range quoted was $7,000 to $8,000 (plus ”incidentals”)

Reactions: Eric33432
I have not done anything. Decided to wait for now. Two reasons:

1) Huge demands from association for paperwork and other legal documents, permits, and such

2) Too expensive. Best price range quoted was $7,000 to $8,000 (plus ”incidentals”)
Someday, as EVs become more common, things will change. It probably depends on the area. Where I live you see Tessies and other EVs everywhere. Some other places they are a rare sight.

Someday, as EVs become more common, things will change. It probably depends on the area. Where I live you see Tessies and other EVs everywhere. Some other places they are a rare sight.
Definitely tons of Teslas where I live. Other EVs too. It’s just the situation with my home parking, overzealous association, and generally high cost of living here