Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC Installation Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to the Tesla website here, it shows there is no increase in charge speed above 48 amps. I imagine higher amps would result in faster charging. Am I missing something?

What happened was starting in December build model X's they stop putting 72 amp chargers in the cars.... So every car starting then only have 48 amp on-board chargers in everything before then have 78 amp chargers for the 100d models.

I actually had one on order supposed to be delivered December 26th but after finding out this information I decided to buy an inventory car just to make sure I get the 72 amp charger as I drive roughly 240 miles per day... I'm only home for about seven hours so a 48 amp charger would not have worked as I charge from roughly 3% to 98% every day.

So if a 72 amp charger is important to you then you have to find one that is a November build or earlier... Either way I would install a hundred amp service as long as your panel can handle it as the price difference between 60 amps and a hundred amp service is not all that much different... It's probably an installation cost of $400 compared to $600. You never know what your future needs may be.

Yup - its a P100D
Then what I would do is install a hundred amp service so you'll have no worries of charging at 72 amps when needed... But quicker charging supposedly does degrade your battery quicker so what I end up doing is charging at 55 amps which can be set in your car while having the ability to charge at 72 amps when needed.

This allows me to charge to 98% every day in roughly seven hours which is about the time I'm home...so in theory this gives me the least amount of battery degradation while still charging to what I need.

Even if you were going to only charge everyday at 48 amps or less I would still install at least a 90 AMP service so you'll have the option of charging at 72 amps when necessary

If charging an individual cell without thermal management would you consider 7hours charging fast?

Probably not, now think about the fact you are charging them with thermal management.

When looking at it like this I think the argument that high amperage home charging is harder on the battery falls apart.
Get into supercharging and go from empty to full in a bit over an hour then yeah that is fast charging.