Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC With Ne14-50

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About a month ago, Tesla had a HPWC with 14-50 plug. They stated that it would charge 25% faster. How can this be if the NEMA plug is 40amps? Do they mean with the gen 2 UMC’s only using 32amps that it’s 25% faster than that? Trying to understand the reference point for the 25% increase.

It looks like Tesla is not going to be rereleasing the HPWC with the 14-50 pig tail.

I recall hearing about this as well. I, like you, would have to imagine they were comparing the performance to the Gen 2 UMC since that would be the only way you would see real appreciable speed difference. I lucked out and got my car the week they were switching from Gen 1 to Gen 2, keeping the Gen 1, and I regularly charge at 40 amps with my UMC on a 14-50 outlet away from home.

I did get a standard wall charger and wired my own appliance plug to it for a few months until I was ready to have a 60 amp circuit run to it. I already had a 30 amp outlet in my garage that worked fine with the wall charger and it wasn't too difficult to pick up the cord from my local home store and set the wall charger to the proper amp rating.

I recall hearing about this as well. I, like you, would have to imagine they were comparing the performance to the Gen 2 UMC since that would be the only way you would see real appreciable speed difference. I lucked out and got my car the week they were switching from Gen 1 to Gen 2, keeping the Gen 1, and I regularly charge at 40 amps with my UMC on a 14-50 outlet away from home.

I did get a standard wall charger and wired my own appliance plug to it for a few months until I was ready to have a 60 amp circuit run to it. I already had a 30 amp outlet in my garage that worked fine with the wall charger and it wasn't too difficult to pick up the cord from my local home store and set the wall charger to the proper amp rating.

Thanks. That’s what I’m going to do. 60A is the way to go. Thanks!

Small correction. NEMA 14-50 is 50 Amps, first number is plug type, second number is amps. The 40 Amp figure comes from the 0.80 usable power, (0.80 X 50 Amp = 40 A) at car. Same thing happens with the 60 Amp (0.80 X 60 = 48 A at car.)

Be sure to check with the city of Dublin on the EV charging limits. I live in Pleasanton, and the EV charge installation permits over 50 A were different.

I went with 50 A @ 240 V and it adds 10 KW/hr to the car. This is more than enough to charge the car from round trip to the Mountain View in 2 hours or so.

About a month ago, Tesla had a HPWC with 14-50 plug. They stated that it would charge 25% faster. How can this be if the NEMA plug is 40amps? Do they mean with the gen 2 UMC’s only using 32amps that it’s 25% faster than that? Trying to understand the reference point for the 25% increase.

It looks like Tesla is not going to be rereleasing the HPWC with the 14-50 pig tail.

It seems Tesla is being unnecessarily confusing but you are right: the 25% figure comes from 40/32, with reference to Gen2 UMC. But Tesla also still sells a NEMA 14-50 corded UMC, and I cannot find its specs. But I am guessing from its higher price and different dimensions that it is still 40A (anyone else know)? Finally, if you really want a Tesla factory corded HPWC, you might want to check eBay from several Canadian sources. I bought a very cheap *NEW* HPWC from a Canadian vendor, and it was drop-shipped directly from Tesla in Fremont. (Apparently these vendors are taking advantage of some steep local EV incentives, and indeed the first sighting of a corded HPWC was from one of these vendors, but shipped from Tesla long before they officially offered it for sale — see TMC threads for details).