TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

HRE 20's vs. Tsportline 21's

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Black/Black MS, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Black/Black MS

Hi folks - first time poster, long time lurker.

I'm taking delivery of a new P90DL next week, and want to get an opinion on wheels. I'm deciding between 20" HRE S107s, and the 21" TS115's.

The car is obsidian black, and I will probably get something like a gloss nickel or grey color.

Does anyone have experience or opinions about these pro or con? HRE I know would be a great choice, and I actually prefer the 20" to the 21", but the wheels from Tsportline look very nice and nearly $4k cheaper.

2. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Having 21's...trust me, the HRE 20's will save you a fortune in tires. I am quite sure that I am spending more in rubber than I was in gas. Being that both are made of oil, I have shot my "green-save the earth" cred totally to hell. 26K and I'm looking at my FOURTH set of tires in a couple months form now. Not to mention the cost. But I simply cannot give up the beauty of those damn wheels (Factory cyclones). I am in love.

Oy.

• Informative x 1
  3. ZoomFPV

ZoomFPV Member

4. Black/Black MS

Great info, thanks very much. On the plus side I get to keep the stock 19" rims, so I'll buy a floor jack and just swap rims any time I have to take a long drive.

5. EVS Motors

EVS Motors Vendor

I would recommend 21" as the factory even recommends 21". You have to be a careful driver that loves your car, but shouldn't we all? :) If you don't have a HRE contact let me know I love to sell you a set and help you out.

I have a P90D myself and ordered 21" for myself. I find the 21" to be quite satisfactory and have no issues with potholes and such. I am also a careful driver, I pay attention to the road I am driving on. I don't think tire cost is a factor to you or me since we both bought $150k cars. To me the 20" setup has too much tire wall and makes the car look boring. 21" gives a great amount of sidewall and good looks!

6. aus

aus Member

Are TSportline JWL or TUV certified. I know HRE are TUV and that's reason enough to choose them.
    And LA roads SUCK BALLS now. The roads are so back I hate driving up there now.
    My friend's wife kills tires every few months.

7. EVS Motors

EVS Motors Vendor

An even better reason to get HRE Wheels!

8. Skateboardgolf

Hey CHG-ON - I was in the same boat. $1000 for a set of Michelin rear tires on the staggered setup.

Here's what I got:
    Hankook Ventus V12 EVO2 275/30R21 rear and 245/35R21 in the front.
    4 of them, installed, cost right at $1000.
    They're a little quieter than the stock Michelins, and, heck, at half the price, I'm stomping the gas all the time!
    Just search the forum - lots of happy users of this setup.
    Good luck!

9. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Hey @Skateboardgolf. We are of like minds. I'm on Hankooks too. But 285's in the rear. I like them. Though I find that they get really loud when down to the last 25% or so of tread. I think I'll try Conti Silents next, if I can find them. No idea why, but they seem to be elusive.

On a totally different topic: what do you think about this sh-t storm over the bathroom issue in NC? The press you guys are getting is unbelievable. Do people really care or is it just the legislature going nuts?