Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aodhan AFF7's on Model Y's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any gains in range?
I can say this...NO! from my experience, going from stock 18" on my LR M3 with MXM4 tires to 19x8.5 AFF7s with PSAS4 245/40/19, I my range has taken a huge hit! Mainly at freeway speeds greater than 65 mph. I went from 264 wh/m lifetime, that's in the winter as well for a 33k miles to now about 300 wh/m with the 19 AFF7 and 245/40 PSAS4. A real disappointment. Not sure why it is so bad... My driving style has actually been less aggressive with the 19's than stock wheel/tires (18 aeros).

I can say this...NO! from my experience, going from stock 18" on my LR M3 with MXM4 tires to 19x8.5 AFF7s with PSAS4 245/40/19, I my range has taken a huge hit! Mainly at freeway speeds greater than 65 mph. I went from 264 wh/m lifetime, that's in the winter as well for a 33k miles to now about 300 wh/m with the 19 AFF7 and 245/40 PSAS4. A real disappointment. Not sure why it is so bad... My driving style has actually been less aggressive with the 19's than stock wheel/tires (18 aeros).

Its probably the tires. I'm in love with those tires but ultimately didn't get them due to price & range. The spec you want to pay attention to is rolling resistance. What it comes down to is the AS4 is going to be ALOT stickier than the MXM4. More grip = less efficiency. It also works vice versa.. less grip = more efficiency. Which is probably why you picked the AS4 in the first place.. you wanted a tire that gave more grip/performance in all conditions.

So from most accounts switching from OE tire to the AS4 will reduce your efficiency by at least 10%. Supposedly this gets as the tire wears down.. because it ultimately loses some of its initial maximum grip. But that 10% number seems pretty common.

FYI.. if you ever wanted to test this theory: There are TONS of people on Facebook Marketplace selling the used 19" Continental Pro-Contact that are the standard OE tire on the Model Y. Its a tire with low rolling resistance which is why most Model Y's have these equipped from the factory. Granted they will be size 255/45/19.. but close enough to buy an entire set for about $300 with about 80% of the tread remaining. I guess these tires were pulled off Model Y's that have probably been totaled and parted out for insurance purposes.

Reactions: gotoma8
Deakwan, I did expect some reduction in efficiency but this is a lot. Most of the time, 90% of mt driving, it's not a big deal, but on long trips, it's like a good 30-40 miles of range each full charge, which is ia lot for a 2019 LR with about 300 miles at 100%!.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
Deakwan, I did expect some reduction in efficiency but this is a lot. Most of the time, 90% of mt driving, it's not a big deal, but on long trips, it's like a good 30-40 miles of range each full charge, which is ia lot for a 2019 LR with about 300 miles at 100%!.
Yeah, its sucks man. I have the MYSR (standard range Model Y RWD).. and my car reports about 230 estimated miles at 100% charge. So my max range is only about 200 real-world miles. This is another reason I skipped this setup.. Im already at the point where my car is really only good for about 3 hours of highway driving before I absolutely need to stop and charge. Thankfully I usually need to pee anyways.. so its never that big of a deal lol.

Granted I still want THIS setup. And if I ever get the MYP (performance Model Y).. I'm definitely going with THESE wheels 20"x10" and Michelin Pilot Sports AS4 in 275/40/20.. and selling the OE 21" Ultraturbines. I understand the drawbacks and range limitations. That said it's still a better wheel/tire combination than the super heavy 21" Ultraturbines that come equipped from the factory on the MYP. Those OE 21" Ultraturbines have the exact same AS4 tires.. and they are staggered so you can't rotate the tires to extend their tread life.

I also wanto get rid of the Uberturbines. My MYP uses 265kw/Hr while my MYLR uses 215 kw/h for the same commute in chill mode. I despise the Uberturbines concrete blocks compared to my old bmw forged rims were 20s but 24lb for the wheel vs 40lb for rear each wheel. Uses more energy to accelerate.

My set is up for sale if anyone is interested. Had them on the car for about 5 months. Still looks brand new with no blemishes. Comes with oem Bluetooth tpms installed and wheel hubs. Basically ready to go. Just needs to be mounted on your car. 20x9 +30 245/45 & 20x10.5 +35 275/40. Tires are Kumho ecsta all seasons. Asking for $1600 picked up in tustin CA.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230712_232217_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230712_232217_Gallery.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 212
Reactions: WyoDude
Was wondering, I know many aren't as interested as I, but wondered if anyone has any ideas on how to get some covers on these wheels to help with range on long trips? These look great and are light, but with the open design, not great for efficiency, especially at high speed and long trips. Has anyone thought about or come up with some for of aero(ish) covers for them?

Was wondering, I know many aren't as interested as I, but wondered if anyone has any ideas on how to get some covers on these wheels to help with range on long trips? These look great and are light, but with the open design, not great for efficiency, especially at high speed and long trips. Has anyone thought about or come up with some for of aero(ish) covers for them?
I purchase the YesLak wheel covers that look like the turbines . It was a great set all the wheel covers go in the fan like turbines unlike the oem hubcap are going in the opposite direction on the left side . All wheel covers should be opposite direction on each side on vehicle where the fan line blade cuts through the wind instead. I saw this on the oem hubcaps and the 20 inch wheels are also going in the opposite direction. How can this be a factory mistake when the car is made for efficiency?

I also wanto get rid of the Uberturbines. My MYP uses 265kw/Hr while my MYLR uses 215 kw/h for the same commute in chill mode. I despise the Uberturbines concrete blocks compared to my old bmw forged rims were 20s but 24lb for the wheel vs 40lb for rear each wheel. Uses more energy to accelerate.
I don't know how anyone gets that kind of efficiency from a MYP without driving like if someone raised my late grandmother from her grave and plopped her in the driver's seat and then threatened her with her second life to stay off of anything that resembled a Texas freeway/highway. I figure I'll be lucky to average 300-310 over the life of the car on the Ubers...

Reactions: ggunn9 and gotoma8
I purchase the YesLak wheel covers that look like the turbines . It was a great set all the wheel covers go in the fan like turbines unlike the oem hubcap are going in the opposite direction on the left side . All wheel covers should be opposite direction on each side on vehicle where the fan line blade cuts through the wind instead. I saw this on the oem hubcaps and the 20 inch wheels are also going in the opposite direction. How can this be a factory mistake when the car is made for efficiency?
Thanks for the note. I don't think it's a factory mistake, I think they just didn't care and didn't want to create another mold or whatever. I agree that the direction should be symmetrical for sure. I hope to find some universal covers that can go on any wheel, but it's a task that has come up empty. I love the looks of the AFF7 and PS AS4, but would love something for the long trips to extend the range a bit.