Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HVAC recommendation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We replaced our 15-year-old system in July last year with a Bryant (Carrier) 5-ton 16 seer system that runs very good with our solar. On startup it draws 5Kw and settles back down to 3.5Kw. Our Powerwalls handle the startup spike easily.
I have the same system (Bryant) and can confirm it works great with our solar and single powerwall+ system. I'd never heard of Bryant before, but several people in the industry I spoke with before the install said they were good systems. As you stated, they are rebranded Carriers. Our installer had this funny story of working in a large AC manufacturing plant in the Midwest and all the units were rolling off the same exact assembly line in the plant, and they just got shunted to different lines at the very end of the process where they slapped different manufacturer's stickers and badges on them LOL!

But back to the point; Just as a test, and to make certain that grid power wasn't somehow supplementing the HVAC startup, I went off grid from the app and fired up the AC at what the NEST thermostat indicated as "Stage 2" cooling (It was 72 degrees in the house and I set the Thermostat for 50) and it started up on multiple tests with no issues at all. Spiked to 5Kw (well within limits) and then down to 3.5-3.6Kw just as you said. Now if I had been running the electric clothes dryer, at the same moment, I'm sure the inverter would have complained, and cut out, but typically in a power outtage people with solar/storage systems tend to be saavy/careful about power draw.. and not do things like run the AC off the battery :)

Reactions: ptdusn
I have the same system (Bryant) and can confirm it works great with our solar and single powerwall+ system. I'd never heard of Bryant before, but several people in the industry I spoke with before the install said they were good systems. As you stated, they are rebranded Carriers. Our installer had this funny story of working in a large AC manufacturing plant in the Midwest and all the units were rolling off the same exact assembly line in the plant, and they just got shunted to different lines at the very end of the process where they slapped different manufacturer's stickers and badges on them LOL!

But back to the point; Just as a test, and to make certain that grid power wasn't somehow supplementing the HVAC startup, I went off grid from the app and fired up the AC at what the NEST thermostat indicated as "Stage 2" cooling (It was 72 degrees in the house and I set the Thermostat for 50) and it started up on multiple tests with no issues at all. Spiked to 5Kw (well within limits) and then down to 3.5-3.6Kw just as you said. Now if I had been running the electric clothes dryer, at the same moment, I'm sure the inverter would have complained, and cut out, but typically in a power outtage people with solar/storage systems tend to be saavy/careful about power draw.. and not do things like run the AC off the battery :)
True about resetting thermostat when in an outage. In our system, the stove, microwave, washer and dryer are NOT on the backup. So we only need to be mindful of the A/C being the big draw, (especially in summer here in AZ).