Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW2 tweak in Model 3 -- addition of dedicated rain/light sensor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As most know, the HW2 cars lack a dedicated light/rain sensor. Despite launch day assurances that our cars would ship with auto headlights/highbeams and rain-sensing wipers, the former arrived very late (auto-highs were in the 17.releases, I think) and the latter is nothing but a promise in a tweet. And now it appears that Tesla has realized they made a mistake.

Behold: the Model 3 camera suite

a923eso3645z.jpg

Is there any chance they could do a retrofit or am I simply out of luck with regard to the wipers? Pretty aggravating for a car that cost me over 100k to be missing a useful feature that requires a sensor that costs less than $50.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
The rain sensing wipers on AP1 cars aren't great, but they more or less work.

Tesla promised you rain sensing, and I expect they'll deliver, regardless of what they do for the 3. It may or may not work better than the AP1 solution.

Looking at the picture, I would think a retrofit would require a windshield replacement and is thus unlikely.

As most know, the HW2 cars lack a dedicated light/rain sensor. Despite launch day assurances that our cars would ship with auto headlights/highbeams and rain-sensing wipers, the former arrived very late (auto-highs were in the 17.releases, I think) and the latter is nothing but a promise in a tweet. And now it appears that Tesla has realized they made a mistake.

Behold: the Model 3 camera suite

a923eso3645z.jpg

Is there any chance they could do a retrofit or am I simply out of luck with regard to the wipers? Pretty aggravating for a car that cost me over 100k to be missing a useful feature that requires a sensor that costs less than $50.

Check your car and you'll see this same sensor is there. Not entirely sure what it does, but I noticed it a few months ago on my 2016 AP2 S.

Check your car and you'll see this same sensor is there. Not entirely sure what it does, but I noticed it a few months ago on my 2016 AP2 S.
Even Tesla mouthpiece elektrek says what we see in the 3 is a rain sensor.

So that there is a sensor of one sort in a kind of similar spot in the X/S doesn't mean that the sensor in a different spot on the 3 is the same as the S/X sensor. :confused: This is what my camera housing looks like. I guess we'll find out when the 3 is released or if a "journalist" ever has the balls or access to ask Tesla serious questions.

IMG_7589.JPG

Even Tesla mouthpiece elektrek says what we see in the 3 is a rain sensor.

So that there is a sensor of one sort in a kind of similar spot in the X/S doesn't mean that the sensor in a different spot on the 3 is the same as the S/X sensor. :confused: This is what my camera housing looks like. I guess we'll find out when the 3 is released or if a "journalist" ever has the balls or access to ask Tesla serious questions.

View attachment 232436

So far as I can tell, Electrek got their info on it being a rain sensor from people saying it was on these forums. It's not particularly outlandish that it would be(especially if you're unaware of the very similar sensor on the MS/X), and Tesla isn't saying anything, so they ran with it.

That was then discovered and used as a source here, making a nice little feedback loop.