Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3 differences that aren't AP function related

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry about the title, I wasn't sure how to word it. I've seen a few different things pop up here and there regarding things that AP3 computer does or does better than AP 2.5 and wanted to see if there was any evidence to back any of this up or what experiences have been. This would not be things like stop lights/signs as those are AP3 only anyway. I'm referring more to AP having less ping-pong issues.

Another thing I've heard is that Dashcam and Sentry mode gets clearer footage as well as slightly different color as it's less compressed, any evidence of this?

What else have you see or learned since upgrading to the AP3 computer? Again, not AP3 only features.

...AP3 computer does or does better than AP 2.5...

I guess the question is:

1) Does HW3 improve basic Autopilot performance?

Since basic Autopilot can do only 2 functions:

1) TACC
2) Autosteer

It is a relevant issue if an owner only wants to pay for basic Autopilot and expects their car should have HW3 installed but they might find out that they only have HW 2.5 due to proximity of the cut-off date.

Since there's lots of unused power in HW 2.0 and 2.5 to just do 2 functions, I doubt there would be any improvement when switching to HW3 in order to hope to get better performance for those 2 functions.

2) Is video footage better in HW3 than HW 2.5?

I am not an expert on this but I did switch from HW 2.5 to 3.0 for my Model 3 and I don't see any difference.

Again, since there's lots of unused power in HW 2.0 and 2.5 to just do 2 Autopilot functions, I guess HW 2.5 can do pretty good job on the video footage for the purpose of dash cam and sentry.

Reactions: camthehombre
I just got upgraded to 3.0 last Friday and here is what I noticed compared to 2.5...

-When going into reverse, camera feed is almost instant. On 2.5 sometimes it would take 2-4 seconds.
- A lot more accurate when it comes to identify traffic cones. Seems like 2.5 thought everything was a cone.
-Camera feed looks a little different. Clearer but with filter over it compared to 2.5.

As far as things that have improved but it could be in my head....

-When using FSD or AP, car is a lot better and smoother in terms in staying in the middle of the lane. It was never bad on 2.5, but not as ping-pongy (yes I made up a word).
- Recommended lane changes aren't as frequent and are actually better. Lane changes on 2.5 would save me maybe 5 seconds going around a car and then get stuck in traffic on that lane a few seconds later.

It's only been a few days and haven't really gone on extended trip but those are the things I've noticed so far.

I just got upgraded to 3.0 last Friday and here is what I noticed compared to 2.5...

-When going into reverse, camera feed is almost instant. On 2.5 sometimes it would take 2-4 seconds.
- A lot more accurate when it comes to identify traffic cones. Seems like 2.5 thought everything was a cone.
-Camera feed looks a little different. Clearer but with filter over it compared to 2.5.

As far as things that have improved but it could be in my head....

-When using FSD or AP, car is a lot better and smoother in terms in staying in the middle of the lane. It was never bad on 2.5, but not as ping-pongy (yes I made up a word).
- Recommended lane changes aren't as frequent and are actually better. Lane changes on 2.5 would save me maybe 5 seconds going around a car and then get stuck in traffic on that lane a few seconds later.

It's only been a few days and haven't really gone on extended trip but those are the things I've noticed so far.
Awesome info and thank you! This is exactly the type of info I'm looking for.

Good to know about the backup cam as mine seems to be a black square for about 5 seconds or so sometimes.

Less ping-pongy is great to hear as well. With 2.5 it has improved lately but I can still tell that it's there, so having it resolved with HW3 is good to know.

I mostly ask because I know a lot of people are on the fence about if it's worth it, myself included. Sometimes little day to day things make a big difference and not just the latest features. Thanks again.