Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hyperloop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone notice how many times the phrase "1/6th the atmosphere on Mars" appeared in that paper? That's not exactly a relatable reference for most people, but it's an easy one if you're already doing the math in your head on how to build a long distance transportation network between Martian colonies. It's even more suited for there than here -- routing is even easier, the lower pressure differential may mean you don't need quite as heavy gauge steel for the tubes, and you need pressurized cargo pods anyway.

I noticed that too! Loved the cross references.

I agree. It would be a mistake to make the "Passenger Only" smaller tubed design. For just 25% more money you get more capsules (50 vs 40) and you have the flexibility to move passengers, cars, and cargo. The larger system just seems more future proof. I think building a system that could handle more is always prudent... especially when it's still a fraction of the cost of the "bullet" train proposal.

Why not 3 tubes? One would be dedicated to cargo every other day and for backup should one tube need maintenance.

Don't know how Elon missed an important bit:

Will I still get my peanuts and beverage?! :)

Audacious is the only word that came to mind when I read through the paper even with my limited understanding of fluid dynamics. Impossible is not a word in this man's dictionary.

Please hire me for Hyperloop, Inc.!

Why not 3 tubes? One would be dedicated to cargo every other day and for backup should one tube need maintenance.

Sounds good to me! I wonder how it would affect the budget to add an additional line. It seems like it wouldn't cost too much more to have the pylons be able to handle 4 lines each (2 full loops).

Quickly looking over the proposed budget it would nearly double the cost to add an additional line. Having the project costs well under 10 billion really points out the cost benefit to the hyperloop so maybe a second line wouldn't need to initially be built until demand increases.

How about a design where the tube is partially evacuated and the train has something like an electrically driven air turbine compressor at the front that compresses the air which is then blown out the back to create thrust and also blown between the car's outside walls and the tube's inside wall to keep it from rubbing? Power would be supplied by the tube using something like embedded microwave antennas transmitting power to the car to drive the compressor. The pressure of the tube would be set to the optimum trade off between high enough for the compressor to work efficiently and low enough to minimize drag.

Ahem... Not to toot my own horn, but - Toot!
:biggrin:

As someone with an engineering mindset, I am rather shocked at the quality and (to my knowledge) uniqueness of the proposal. This actually looks workable and economic to me. Incredibly simple, and robust when you look at how most of the widgets are contained within the pods and powered with swappable Tesla batteries.

The low pressure tube actually looks doable, compared to vacuum concepts or the unphysical high pressure concepts that folks were talking about.

To me the uniqueness, or quality, lies more in the clever combination of components, each of which are relatively simple and cost-effective, rather than being unique in themselves. Although the aerodynamics of the pods are surely very tricky to get right. And "clever" is probably an understatement.

The thought of air barrings running 1mm above a tube at 700mph gives me the willies.

The tube would have to be optically perfect and god (or Elon) only knows how to make expansion joints for something like that!

If you read the paper, the air bearings would be attached to the capsule with a spring/damper suspension and the bearings themselves would accommodate the roughness left by the internal tube grinder he describes. 1 mm is far from optically perfect (~300 nm)
Why do you think the expansion joints would be a problem? With the exception of the final end points that would take up the sum of the expansion/contraction, they would be distributed along the length of the tube so each would only have to handle a fraction of a mm change.

I skimmed the document and was pleasantly surprised. It seemed very rational and sensible. "do-able."

Perhaps they should build it along the California aqueduct canal, and (at the same time) put the aqueduct in a tube itself to reduce all the evaporation that happens along the way. LA needs all the water it can get.

water_1.10.jpg

Reading the hyperloop thread on Reddit:

Elon Musk has unveiled new details about the hyperloop, a new (super fast) form of transportation. : technology

An idea comes to me: Perhaps the Chinese will build it. California politicians will be too embarrassed to give this a serious try. The Chinese has super dense population in those super cities like Shanghai and Beijing. The Chinese is also craving for the greatest technology and has the scale of manufactoring prowess that put the US to shame.

Every time I drive on the 101, I can't stop being upset or laughing that this damn expansion project takes what how many years? The Chinese would've get it done in 6 months!

So mark my prediction: We will see the Hyperloop in China before we see it here in the US, if ever.

I felt bad for Elon....he and his team worked so hard, and did a great job outlining things in his paper, and most everyone who came on to ask a question said, "I didn't have time to read the 57 pages, but...", reminds me of a professor doing a review session before an exam, and the student says, "I haven't done the reading yet, but can you tell us what's going to be on the test?"

Seems to me if you are going to speak to such a great mind, and take up the time of a busy CEO (of two amazing companies) you could have at least "done the reading" first.

I thought he was not only clear on his explanations, but really quite patient.

Heard the call with all the keyboard taps or folks shooting pool early on... I'm always amazed by some people who are or atleast come across as brusque or even condescending in such a setting; Elon was patient albeit tired-sounding.

Elon's mind is, as always, way ahead of his speech, sorta' like Hyperloop vs "High Speed" Rail.

You got to feel sorry for the California Rail Authority. Can you imagine how many news orginizations are going to be asking them for comments or interviews about the high speed train and Hyperloop?

They will be under the microscope like never before. How long before Californians fire up a letter writing campaign to State officials?

I can already see the petitions now. "Do you want your taxes to pay for the current proposal or Hyperloop?'