Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I can't wondering whether they will use higher quality paint in China production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you want to feel better, I paid an extra 5k for a custom BMW M color for my 2016 M3 and BMW managed to paint it poorly. They painted it poorly for at least 1 other person who ordered the same individual color around the same time they painted mine (most likely batched together as I know they paint custom colors in batches).

To BMW's credit, they built me a brand new 2017 M3 b/c I didn't notice the paint flaw until about 6 months later and it took another few months to build and ship me the replacement from Germany. They did not give me a hard time about it either and admitted it right away they messed up after they sent out their factory rep to inspect it. So as great as BMW's paint process is (it's considered industry best), they are susceptible to user/human/operator error as well.

My 8 week old 3 is at the paint shop having its paint rectified after delivery. This is the one area Tesla is still poor at painting their vehicles. Tesla relies on there service centres to make repairs but I wise these service centers would make repairs before delivery.
I had several paint bubbles and a misalignment trunk lid damaging the rear bumper paint. While the body shop was repainting several areas of my 2019 Model 3 on Tesla warranty they also removed and repainted the bumper. I had a Tesla ranger correct the trunk lid alignment months before my bodyshop appointment. When the bodyshop reinstalled the newly painted bumper they screwed up the spacing with the trunk lid and it was getting damaged again. Body shop had to repaint the bumper again. A lot of wasted time for me and profits lost from Tesla. Nothing to do with the quality of the paint itself before they apply it. It's the application process that is mediocre. Their clean room is not perfectly clean and they don't have the proper processing for drying paint causing solvent pops/bubbles. I still love my Tesla. Tesla fixed my initial delivery paint and trim issues. Lets see what the paint on my car looks like after 3-5 years of salty Canadian winters and I'll check back.