Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I have a stupid question, but why not gift?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I contacted several private sellers and asked if they could gift when transferring title, and most of them say no.
I wonder if this is a pretty personal choice, or due to some other reasons?

I purchased several used car before from other former owners, like honda, somewhere between 1-20k and they all gifted it.
Is this because Honda's price too low, so they won't bother?

And more importantly, if private seller won't gift, then what's the point people want to purchase it from them?
I couldn't see any differences between purchasing from used inventory on Tesla.com and purchasing with private sellers? Besides, purchasing from official website seems like more secured if there's not any price advantages when purchasing with private sellers.

No offense, just try to figure this out.

Thank you

• Disagree
Reactions: playoutside
I contacted several private sellers and asked if they could gift when transferring title, and most of them say no.
I wonder if this is a pretty personal choice, or due to some other reasons?

I purchased several used car before from other former owners, like honda, somewhere between 1-20k and they all gifted it.
Is this because Honda's price too low, so they won't bother?

And more importantly, if private seller won't gift, then what's the point people want to purchase it from them?
I couldn't see any differences between purchasing from used inventory on Tesla.com and purchasing with private sellers? Besides, purchasing from official website seems like more secured if there's not any price advantages when purchasing with private sellers.

No offense, just try to figure this out.

Thank you
In Tennessee you can only gift to a direct family member and normally ID is shown.

Gifting is not a form of tax evasion unless you are misrepresenting a sale (with "consideration", i.e. someone gives you a car but you pay him) as a gift.

Misrepresentation always allows any aggrieved party to sue you for damages, and in many jurisdictions if the aggrieved party is the government is even criminal.

So yeah, I can see why they would not want to do that.

In Belgium it's worse than in most countries: here, misrepresentation in writing is in itself a crime, punishable by up to 5 (and technically 10) years.

Gifting is not a form of tax evasion unless you are misrepresenting a sale (with "consideration", i.e. someone gives you a car but you pay him) as a gift.

Misrepresentation always allows any aggrieved party to sue you for damages, and in many jurisdictions if the aggrieved party is the government is even criminal.

So yeah, I can see why they would not want to do that.

In Belgium it's worse than in most countries: here, misrepresentation in writing is in itself a crime, punishable by up to 5 (and technically 10) years.

Thank you, sixela, very very helpful.