Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I need a scheduled start time for preconditioning my car.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get into my car at the same time ever morning and evening. But my car won’t wake up consistently in the morning through the app and hardly ever at all in the evening. A schedule function would make all the difference as I currently try and wake it up over and over to no avail. Anyone else have this problem?

Reactions: Dave EV
Without using a 3rd party service, there isn’t a scheduling function for the climate control.

Is the car close enough to your house/apartment/... to have the phone key connected over the direct Bluetooth connection? If so, the next time you want to warm the car, unlock the doors (and then relock them if you’re not parked in a private locked garage) via the app. If you’re close enough, this can work even if the Internet connection for other functions is down. In almost all cases, you should then be able to turn on the climate control in 5-10 seconds. Unlocking the doors seems to be the nudge needed to wake it from whatever deep sleep state it is in.

Smart Preconditioning should do this theoretically. Not sure if it's available on the 3, but I haven't heard that it has been of much use to anyone. It's supposed to learn your drive times and start the climate to get it ready for you.

TeslaFi can do this on a schedule.

HPWC charges about 35mi/h.

I do : (310-(current range))/35 ; time needed to charge.

Or (target range - current)/35.

I set charge time according to estimated departure time.

Metric is easier because it's 50km/h on HPWC
80%=400km // 90%=450km

Without using a 3rd party service, there isn’t a scheduling function for the climate control.

Is the car close enough to your house/apartment/... to have the phone key connected over the direct Bluetooth connection? If so, the next time you want to warm the car, unlock the doors (and then relock them if you’re not parked in a private locked garage) via the app. If you’re close enough, this can work even if the Internet connection for other functions is down. In almost all cases, you should then be able to turn on the climate control in 5-10 seconds. Unlocking the doors seems to be the nudge needed to wake it from whatever deep sleep state it is in.

This might help for the AM, but not the PM as my walk to the car from work is about 700ft.

80%=400km // 90%=450km

This has been my solution for at home. Works pretty well when I actually plug in. I am a little lazy in that regard as I only use about 10% a day (an easy remedy). Can’t help in the PM as I don’t have a place to plug in at work.

Smart Preconditioning should do this theoretically. Not sure if it's available on the 3, but I haven't heard that it has been of much use to anyone. It's supposed to learn your drive times and start the climate to get it ready for you.

TeslaFi can do this on a schedule.

Does TeslaFi ever have issues with waking the car up to do this?

I feel you. I wish I could set the climate control to go off at say - 21h45 to 22h00 every Thursday...

I use about 10% a day also... before winter.... some days I would plug it in out of habit / super lazyness vs ease of plugging it in like a phone... My mind would go "why not".

Now with the winter time, I try to time it so that I get Max regen / warm car.

80%=400km // 90%=450km

I know. But since you have variable use, you have variable charge times. There is an old YouTube video where Elon talks with the Dutch / Belgian Tesla club. Towards the end, somebody asks specifically why not have the car calculate on its own the charge time, so it is ready and heated at a requested departure time. Elon liked the idea - but I guess the implementation Tesla chose was Smart Preconditioning, which was not very good on my P85D. There is no such feature on 3. Back to start charging at 5 AM.....

I haven't tried it personally but looks like someone has made a homebridge plugin for Tesla (if you are using homekit that is). You could set a scene and have it run every morning. Again only helpful for your morning commute. Not sure if Scenes will work remotely but they might as the API is cloud based so in theory a evening scene could work to have it warm your car every afternoon.

For most people paying the $5/month to Teslafi might be better. Use my username as a reference to get an extended trial.