Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled Charging and Preconditioning Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello! New owner here and just had the wall charger installed. I believe I have an understanding of the options regarding scheduled charging? My off peak hours seem to be 9p-1p. I got scheduled charging set currently to 12a. In the morning I manually precondition the car about 30-45min before I plan on leaving as it's 20F right now. I noticed that on my app, it was showing "start charging at 9pm" and the cable was blue. Upon leaving, I saw that my battery was down 3% from my charge limit (69%). I just wanted to confirm if this is working as intended as I read in the manual, if you set Scheduled Charging, it will only charge up to 6 hours and then will reset/start charging at set time again? Did this occur because my preconditioning time fell just outside the 6hr window or should it still be pulling from the wall connector as it still plugged in? I don't mind moving my schedule time to like 1-2am if so as ideally I want to leave with a full battery to start the day.

Also if this is the case and say I have a trip planned, if increasing the charge limit makes it so it won't be fully charged in the 6hr window, it would be best to use the Scheduled departure time/off peak option (to get majority charge during off peak)?

Thanks in advance!

You might prefer to use the charging option, "ready to leave at (time)". That will ensure that the car is fully up to your setting just before you depart. And the charge will start when it needs too.
Thanks for the suggestion. If I change to this option which I believe is the "scheduled departure time and off peak charge"? do you know what happens if I were to set it to 7a but not depart? So like the weekends or say like a Th/Fri I don't go into the office?

Hello! New owner here and just had the wall charger installed. I believe I have an understanding of the options regarding scheduled charging? My off peak hours seem to be 9p-1p. I got scheduled charging set currently to 12a. In the morning I manually precondition the car about 30-45min before I plan on leaving as it's 20F right now. I noticed that on my app, it was showing "start charging at 9pm" and the cable was blue. Upon leaving, I saw that my battery was down 3% from my charge limit (69%). I just wanted to confirm if this is working as intended as I read in the manual, if you set Scheduled Charging, it will only charge up to 6 hours and then will reset/start charging at set time again? Did this occur because my preconditioning time fell just outside the 6hr window or should it still be pulling from the wall connector as it still plugged in? I don't mind moving my schedule time to like 1-2am if so as ideally I want to leave with a full battery to start the day.

Also if this is the case and say I have a trip planned, if increasing the charge limit makes it so it won't be fully charged in the 6hr window, it would be best to use the Scheduled departure time/off peak option (to get majority charge during off peak)?

Thanks in advance!
...so off peak is 9pm in the evening until 1pm the next afternoon? Usually there are peak hours in the morning. Anyways, if off peak starts at 9pm, start charging at 9pm so you don't run out of time. My 90D does a wall charge (60A fuse and 45A out) almost as fast as a supercharger. I'm at a supercharger right now getting 38kW + 29kWh, 170 km/h with spots on both side of me empty. I was unaware there was a 6hr limit on charging at a home charger. I always come out to a fully charged to set limit.
What does it say your output is for your wall charger?