TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

i-Pace Wobbly before MS Order

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by trilla1337, Aug 19, 2018.

1. trilla1337

trilla1337 New Member

Hi folks,

New poster here, so bear with me. Today I was about to press submit on my 4K order and found myself wondering why I hadn’t looked at the I-Pace reviews now flooding my inbox.

Took a look and tbh am pretty impressed with the first effort from Jaguar. That was until I phoned up and ran through a finance quote.

Same model, almost the same price and format (7.8k down, 22k miles, 48m PCP). The i-Pace came in with such a low GFV that the monthly payments were over £500 more than my proposed MS.

A real contender to MS, only it really isn’t at that cost - but perhaps a used car to keep an eye on.

Onwards with the Tesla methinks...

• Like x 1
  2. pkodali

pkodali Member

Things to keep in mind: Charging network (Advantage Tesla), Jaguar's bad history with their electrical systems, Tesla is quite a bit bigger, and the semi autonomous features

• Like x 1
  3. LoveEV

LoveEV Member

Tesla is better in all ways. The jag build interior build is better though. Have sent you a PM with more info.

4. mbhforum

mbhforum Member

I just had a Jaguar XF as a loaner and their interior was extremely comfortable compared to my first gen leather seats. That was about all though.

5. trilla1337

trilla1337 New Member

Thanks MBH ! Have put the deposit down on the MS now - just need a referral. Anyone want to sell me the 21” wheels ?

• Love x 1
  6. glenmore

glenmore Member

Hi! I have messaged you about my referral code to receive free unlimited supercharging. Congratulations on your new model s :)

7. Benjanos

Benjanos Member

Storage space. Only got a quick look at one but storage/luggage space seemed very limited.

Supercharging network is the killer blow.

8. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

Tesla has two major advantages over EVs from other manufacturers.

The Supercharger network provides support for long distance driving - something more challenging for EVs from other manufacturers, relying on 3rd party charging networks.

Tesla has produced several generations of battery packs and motors, and have a design that has been proven to result in relatively little degradation over time. While other manufacturers can do the same, it may take them an iteration or two to achieve this [like Nissan's early Leaf models that lost over 50% of charge.] UBS did a teardown of a Model 3, Chevy Bolt and BMW i3 - and they confirmed Tesla was far ahead on the battery and drive train. Nissan had significant problems with range degradation with the first generation Leafs - losing more than 50% range, requiring battery replacements.

Jaguar could go through the same learning curve on EV design - something that may not be obvious for a year or two after their first EVs go on the market.

For the next few years, Tesla will continue to have an advantage with the supercharger network and with more mature battery/drivetrain designs - longer term, Tesla can't rely on those and will have to be competitive in other areas (service network, features, …).

9. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

Sometimes people might not desire that much frunk space.

If you wanted just enough frunk storage to fit a package of tampons, the iPace is an ideal vehicle.

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  10. Tforme

Tforme Member

And if you want a beautiful, premium quality interior instead a a plain Jane Tesla, the i Pace is an ideal vehicle, too.

11. Benjanos

Benjanos Member

We all know that Jaguar are not even building these cars themselves right? Maybe it does not matter on some levels. But it does show they have little EV commitment (yet).

Meantime I totally reserve my personal opinion at Jaguar and just say any additional EV choice is great. Lets give them some credit, just hope the buyers are happy with the public charger network.....