Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I Think The Charging Port On My Brand New Model 3 Is Defective?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys!

Longtime lurker, first time poster since I just purchased and received my SR+ yesterday!

Everything about the car is great...

But, I went to charge it for the first time last night and it was very difficult to push the charger in (but not impossible). When I go to take the charger out, it gets stuck on the locking mechanism, then finally comes out.

Here's a video -

Attached is a picture of the bottom part of the port when it’s unlocked...is it normal for that bottom piece to be sticking up a bit?

I'm starting the process of setting up a repair, but the earliest availability they have is Friday...is it possible I could get this expedited since I think I'm also going to screw up my Mobile Charger having to rip it out every time?

Attachments

• lbtiMeI.jpg
    lbtiMeI.jpg
    556.6 KB · Views: 96
No that’s not normal, the clip should be recessed when the plug is out. Try doing a reboot first, with foot on brake hold in the two buttons on the steering wheel until the screen goes blank. If that doesn’t work, you can pull the retaining clip back in from inside the trunk, directions are in the manual. Hopefully the reboot will work!

No that’s not normal, the clip should be recessed when the plug is out. Try doing a reboot first, with foot on brake hold in the two buttons on the steering wheel until the screen goes blank. If that doesn’t work, you can pull the retaining clip back in from inside the trunk, directions are in the manual. Hopefully the reboot will work!
Thanks for the suggestion...the reboot didn't fix it.

It still unplugs, but it's more force than I'd like...the back thing lists it's on for "emergencies" as pulling it multiple times could render it useless in the future...but thanks for teaching me that it's there (in case I ever have en emergency) and how to restart my car ;)

Hopefully they can get you fixed up quickly, perhaps via mobile ranger. If it were me, I wouldn’t be afraid of pulling the emergency release once or twice more instead of struggling to remove the plug. Plus maybe you have or can charge up for the week and won’t need to charge again before they fix the problem.